Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PITA is done!!

Hey all,
    As you can see from the pics pita is done!!! It was a nice day today so I pulled her out. Let me know what you think okay???

[/IMG]
    Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

Looking good!!!

Ain't it nice to see all the work pay off? Sweetest feeling in the world....

But is it ever really over?
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Lookin' Good!!

Hey Barry,

Lookin' Good, but you're not getting off that easily!! You can't just dump a few photos on us WITHOUT telling us the story behind it! Some of us have very short term memories!

I'm a little concerned about the size of your tail light, and it's visibility, but being in Colorado, I guess you can see someone coming up on you and can pull away if you don't like how close they are!

Interesting muffler and pipe combo. Also interesting seat and tail cowling/fender combo. The wheels, rotors, seat say 80-81 special, but the side covers don't have the insignia, and the engine timing and alt covers are blacked out, so can't see if they have the recessed ring in them of the 81?

What all did you have to do to it, DETAILS, folks want DETAILS!!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

reply to pita's done

Okay,
        Here's Pita's story...
        Gas prices were climbing so badly (2) years ago that I wanted to get a bigger commuter bike. I had a CB550 that I really liked and had 2500 total miles on it. Anyway I was talking to a long time freind of mine who had some sort of old Japanese bike behind his garage that he didn't ride anymore and he would ask his financial manager (wife) if he could part with it...

I bought the XS for $800 and he delivered it.

The first day that I decided to ride it to work it was an all stock machine complete with the buckhorn bars and original exhaust.
        To be honest I was not impressed with the performance and to top it all off I lost an exhaust bolt and when I did it sheered off the remaining one... then when I got home (in the snow) I wanted to change out the air cleaner and found the airbox was full of chicken feed. This is where the project really turns left.

I attempted to repair the sheered bolt and made it worse. About this time I met you guys.
        I put the project on hold for a bit and then found a guy who would re-do my head for me (through my local HOG mechanic) so I sent it to him and had him re-do that one and the other one I had laying around and I waited and waited and waited in the mean time since I had it torn down I decide that I would have the fenders powdercoated... you can see by the pictures that I kinda went a bit wild. I changed the bars, removed the air box, changed the signals, removed the reserve lighting device, took out the octopus, changed the seat a bit, new grips, exhaust, tires, fork seals, battery, removed the tool box and relocated the tools into the bag on the forks, a new fork brace brought to you by tkat I even tried to use the spin on filter adapter but that would not work because I lowered PITA 2 inches with rear shocks I got from Mikes XS.

Okay, so heres how she got her name (PITA)
        I received my head back and got charged tooooooo much and the guy didn't fix the stud that sheared but he rebuilt both heads, at this point I decided that I would use the smaller valved head intead of the large valved one that I originally broke. Okay once again using the "while it's torn down this far" mentality I replaced the timing chain. I then went to work putting the head on replacing the shim cups and torquing all things to the manual specs... I put power to everything and fueled up thinking all would be loud and lovely (all i heard was crickets) wurrrr wurrr wurrr, nothing. Checked fuel, spark, air and went so far as to replace the coils (mikes XS again) and using guidance from this site was able to wire them. Checked the exhaust valves no clearance. (turns out I bent 2 of them)

I pulled her apart again this time determined to giterdone and dropped a 10mm nut right down the center of the motor.(@#$&)

Couldn't find it using any of the standard means so I pulled off the top end. Putting it all back together I broke not one but three piston rings. At this pont she got her name, P.I.T.A. And we all know what that means.

So where is all of this going you ask???
        MOTORCYCLE Mania in Fernley Nevada. The guys name is Scott and he can fix stuff tha I work on HA HA HA. Long story even longer she now has 200 miles on her and all is brand new. Thanks for all the support I will send in some during and after photos (I don't have any befores)

Thanks again guys and gals

Comment

More PITA stuff

I forgot some things,
          Pita is an original 1981 XS1100 special. I was able to make a standard cowl fit a special seat by removing the grab bar and screwing the cowling direct to the seat. The pipe is a Jardine all black with a chrome end. I had to repair the left side cover and as iI was doing so I damaged the insignia so I filled the holes and re-shot it all. When I got her she only had 28500 miles and now she gets to start again brand new. My favorite movie character is Mad Max so I got some decals for the side covers and the soon to be added cafe fairing. They are a reflective badge insignia and have the words MAINTAIN RIGHT on the bottom and are gold. I am going to change the grips this winter and change the tank to a standard and new petcocks with a single outlet. I am sure that I will not leave well enough alone so I will keep you all posted. Oh I also have all of the original parts except the bars, exhaust, and airbox so if anyone needs anything give me a post and I will see if I have it.
          Thanks again.

Comment

That 600lbs of howling L-4ed machine oughta keep you planted during those desert crosswinds. And getting around 18 wheelers on I80 shouldn't take more than a thought. I think you've got the right machine for the job.
            Matt
            1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
            1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
            1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
            2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
            2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Nothing but wind, sand, space and crazy drivers on the way in from Fallon

Comment

Hey, you're on the road and that's a good thing. I'm liking your 4/1 exhaust, looks cool. Lining in Nevada maybe you'd could do those longer comutes with the taller Final Drive of the X750/850?
                Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Looks great!
                  CUAgain,
                  Daniel Meyer
                  Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                  Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

50gary

50gary Saw a post on the net with that subject... Just waitin' for the dust to settle.

Comment

What is your jetting configuration on that beastie? I have the same exhaust system on mine, I'm running pod filters and some bastard 79-80 carbs on mine. I'm thiking I need to jet up to 147.5 but I figured I'd ask someone with a simlar configuration to mine what they got going on in the carbs...thanks...by the way...way nice ride
                      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

I'd like to know too. The Punisher has that set up as well and someday I might get it finished.
                        1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                        1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                        1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                        2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                        2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Lookin good! And sounds like she earned her name!
                          JimBoReeno
                          My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                          '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                          '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                          2000 Indian Chief
                          Millennium Edition

Comment

Jetting

I did not do the jetting but i will contact Motorcycle mania and ask Scott what it was that he did and get back to you...

Comment

Working...
                            X