No announcement yet.

midnight specials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken, bike looks great... something about the pic gives me the chills though.
    And, 80mdnt... I wanted to ask if that was a euro version or something. Engine fins look polished up nice. Over all looks good enough to be factory.
    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
    1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
    1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
    2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

"Yellow Jacket"

Pat,
      Yea, I remember the Yellow Jacket theme........AKA..Bumble Bee Years. Majority of Yamaha's racing line was yellow & black. Was Bob Jones connected to the mnfg. racing dept.? At the risk of sounding XS11 ignorant......(XS11 Heaven) Book??????????
      "Elvira"
      '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Originally posted by dragxs11
        Ken, bike looks great... something about the pic gives me the chills though.
        And, 80mdnt... I wanted to ask if that was a euro version or something. Engine fins look polished up nice. Over all looks good enough to be factory.
        Canadian version, actually. I really didn't spend a lot of time on the fins, they were just kind of rubbed off on the edges. They look better from a small distance.

And you say cold? Yes, it was quite cold on that day in the middle of November for my last ride of the season:
        Ken Talbot

Comment

my turn my turn

Am I crazy... or is that a cup-holder on your bars?
          "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Those are the stock pipes in the photo. I got the 4 into 1 to preserve the stock pipes (all cleaned-up and hanging in the garage). I still have the stock (very rusty) pipes from my E. in good shape XSecpt for the chrome.
            I plan to make a 'Y' pipe from the colector and run two 18" long SuperTrapps to simulate the stock look.
            Still scrounging $ to bore the cylinders for the 1196 kit. Have all the parts, just need bigger holes.

All these bikes lok great!!!!
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Re: my turn my turn

Originally posted by Kurt
              Am I crazy... or is that a cup-holder on your bars?
              You may be crazy, but that is a cup holder. It was on the bike when I bought it. It's no longer there.
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

Nothing better than having your morning folgers while ripping the turns to work. Hope non of this drink spills on my dress...
                "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Dragxs,
                  Sweet lookin' ride ya got there! As for the euro style, no not really. PO done the tank & fender stripe along with the 1100 on side covers. Purchace 3/06 with lots of TLC in mind what turned out to be frame up rebuild/refurb! 3-5 month project, not orig. stock but OK for me.
                  As for the fins........While eng. out during tranny repair, couldn't put it back in with-out a good cleanin' & coat of paint ya know! 1500* ceramic black, fine steel wool the fins.......two coats high temp clear What did you use for your'e Gold plating? Home kit or plating service? Thinking 'bout doing mine someday if I ever get caught up on every thing else one of these days!
                  It's GREAT to see so many FINE LOOKIN' midnights on here! Gives me warm feelin' right down to the 'ol carb styxs!
                  Coffee through a straw........Hummmmm, self contained bottle mount, great, another project!
                  "Elvira"
                  '80 XS1100LG

Comment

I sent the gold out. It ran about $3-400 for all of it. The grab bar is gold chrome, while the rest of it is actually gold plate. I dunno the difference and it looks the same. But both seem more brilliant than the stock finish. The pipes are ceramic coated because black chrome and powdercoating wouldn't hold up to the heat. I suppose I should have pulled the engine and painted it too, but I wasn't inclined to go that far. Kinda wish I did now, but I'm not gonna tear it down again.
                    I like your bike cause it's unique, but looks like it might have come that way.
                    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

Originally posted by dragxs11
                      I sent the gold out. It ran about $3-400 for all of it. The grab bar is gold chrome, while the rest of it is actually gold plate. I dunno the difference and it looks the same. But both seem more brilliant than the stock finish. The pipes are ceramic coated because black chrome and powdercoating wouldn't hold up to the heat. I suppose I should have pulled the engine and painted it too, but I wasn't inclined to go that far. Kinda wish I did now, but I'm not gonna tear it down again.
                      I like your bike cause it's unique, but looks like it might have come that way.
                      Who did your pipes? Were they a new set or did you have old ones redone?
                      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

glad to see so many clean examples. makes feel even better about changing mine up.
                        Danny

1980 MNS
                        1994 GSXR711
                        1999 Harley Softail

www.streetdreams.org

Comment

Gixxer711,
                          Did I miss something? How 'bout a pic? Just so happens the #s on youre user is the last #s on my ser. #. Had been thinking of name for the 'ol girl.............The "711" will fit I think! Always Open For BUSSINESS and SATISFACTION guranteed!
                          Thanks
                          "Elvira"
                          '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Originally posted by 80mdnt11
                            Gixxer711,
                            Did I miss something? How 'bout a pic? Just so happens the #s on youre user is the last #s on my ser. #. Had been thinking of name for the 'ol girl.............The "711" will fit I think! Always Open For BUSSINESS and SATISFACTION guranteed!
                            Thanks
                            LOL. Gixxer711 stands for my gsxr 750 with and 1100 motor.

my uncle gave me a midnite special for christmas. my plans for it are in this thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=12014
                            Danny

1980 MNS
                            1994 GSXR711
                            1999 Harley Softail

www.streetdreams.org

Comment

Jet-Hot redid the stock set. $300
                              1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

well i feel fecked off now thanks you lot,,i gotta have one next year now ...............

Comment

Working...
                                X