Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad tech tips, good product reviews, and much more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad tech tips, good product reviews, and much more...

Well, I finally got around to doing John's oil filter housing drain tip. Like usual I forgot to take pictures 'til I was almost done.

Here is the housing on my bench with the a portion of a fin removed, a 17/64" hole drilled behind the filter bolt hole, and tapped to take an 8mm drain bolt.

Here is the housing with the 8mm drain plug/bolt/can't-remember-what-these-are-called and some high temp thread sealant (sorry, picture is kinda washed out).

Now that the horrible attempt at a tech tip is done, I will move on to the "product review." I got this magnetic oil plug off ebay and wanted to tell all that it is definately worth the $8.

It has a very strong magnet, nice rubber sealing washer, and best of all it takes a 17mm wrench instead of the factory 19mm plug giving you a little more room to get a wrench in there.

And lastly, I wanted to show off my hard work with a pic of my home made clutch cover gasket.

'81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Good Pics

Lot a work making gaskets................

Can leave top and rear a little big and trim with razor after installed. (worked for me )

mro

Comment

that's what I ended up doing too. Although, I did try to get the bottom pretty close to avoid oil pooling and sitting behind the gasket. And yes, LOTS of work but you can't beat the price. Payed $8 for a large roll of asbestos and have tons left for more gaskets.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Good job on that gasket Jessy and good thread.
        Good idea on the filter housing drain plug John. Way to use yer noodles men!

You know those little screw drivers you get from the tool trucks for free, the ones that have the little magnet in the end. I have drilled my drain plug and pressed one of those magnets into it, it works good also... Just another idea if you dont want to spend 11 bucks on the Ebay one and have a few extra of those little screw drivers laying around.
        I will buy one of those Ebay drain plugs for my other bike.
        I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Nice looking job

Pretty easy, huh? Looks good. Once you have removed the plug, let it drain for a minute, and then loosen the oil filter bolt a turn or two, and break the seal between the cup and the engine case, and the oil will drain faster. Good work on the gasket. Sometimes doing that can be so time consuming, but whatcha' gonna' do?
          Last edited by John; 01-05-2007, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X