XJ1100 No Center Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100 No Center Stand

New to riding and just purchased an 82 XJ1100 , the PO told me he removed the centre stand ages ago. Fired it up the other day for a ride and finally figured out how to check oil levels (manuals are a wonerfull thing), nothing showing in the little oil check window. Kind of freaked out about this and figured I had better do an oil change. Does this mean I need to go out and get a jack for the bike?
    Thanks

It's a jack, or try to balance the bike while bending down to look into the window.
    Check ebay, or ask around here. someone may have the center stand. If the PO put on after market exhaust, (read headers) the center stand may not fit. I use my automotive floor jack for most of the times I need to get the bike off the front or rear tire.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

not an aftermarket exhaust, told me he never used it so why carry around the weight?
      If the bike is lean on its kickstand, is it actually on enought of an angle to show no oil????
      Thanks for the quick reply

Comment

Yes, it WILL show no oil on the side stand. If you use a block of wood to get close to level, you can check it, and know you're close. If you use that method, DO NOT fill it to the top line.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

thanks, that's a place to start at least. The PO gave me the receipts for work he had recently done and it shows an oil change was done about 1,500km ago when he put in new starter clutch but it was May of last year so I think I should change it anyways.

Comment

Just lean it against the wall. That's what all the cool kids are doing.

My dad and I actually made a stand out of 3inch steel pipe. Took about an hour and cost about $25.

Might be able to make one or two more if need be.
            "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Thanks. I will let you know if need be.

Comment

I have one you can have for free, just pay shipping. Came off my 79F but its the same part number as the 1100J

Jack
                82 XJ100J Gone
                83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Awesome, this forum rocks!, how do you want to work the shipping?

Comment

let me find out how much it will cost. I will have to pack it and take it over to the post office. Give me a day or so and I will let you know the cost. You can use pay pal or just mail me a check...whichever is easier. PM me you're address.

Jack
                    82 XJ100J Gone
                    83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Perfect, I just PM'd you my address.
                      Thanks again.

Comment

If you're intending to change the oil after checking it then you'll need to get it on a centerstand, jack it, or some other method to get it straight.
                        1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Working...
                        X