Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-calibrate Fuel gauge?

HI All

Has anyone successfully re-calibrated a STD fuel gauge? Mine shows about half when going on reserve, full with just a few liters of gas. I read somewhere of +- 7V across the terminal, but IIRC got much more Regulator gone? Couldn't I just install a resistor in series with the sender unit?

It's not a problem, more of an inconvenience...

Rgds
    1H
    79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
    transforming into:
    "Darth Vader"

Onehand;

7 volts is correct. Below is my old post on this subject. Sounds like your sender is off, gummed up or stuck. Try these tests to confirm.

Remove the connector at the fuel tank. With the key on, you should read 7 volts accross the socket ( the side that disappears into the wire harness going to the guage ) And testing the tank sender, you should read:

Full = 6 to 10 Ohms

Half = 28 to 36 Ohms

Empty = 75 to 85 Ohms

Comment

Recalibrate by bending the rod to the float (like the toilet tank)? Check for rust on the sender preventing the float arm from dropping all the way down.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Re: Re-calibrate Fuel gauge?

I would bet my bottom dollar that your gage is messed-up. There is a bi-metallic tang that bends as the thing is heated by the current from the sender unit, to deflect the needle. This tang bends back and forth until it eventually snaps off at its mount. Fixing the tang is futile in my opinion and unless you really enjoy tinkering, I recommend just buying a replacement.

Originally posted by OneHand
        Mine shows about half when going on reserve, full with just a few liters of gas. I read somewhere of +- 7V across the terminal,
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

My 78' fuel gauges were always dodgy at best, even WHEN they worked, long ago gave up on the finicky damn things, I go by odometer, 14-15 kilometres to the litre is my XS's average thirst, if the odometers' reading 140-150 kilometres- that's 10 litres gas used, that's close enough to half full, 23 litres fills a 78' tank to the brim from dead empty.

Comment

Thanx guys,

Sorry, my post was screwy...
            As far as I can see, the gauge seems OK, sending unit might be sticking a bit, but I got +-10V IIRC(was a while ago), instead of the 7V that I read should be the voltage. must be the regulator? Will check everything again this weekend to make sure. Andrea allready PM'd me to say he's got spares if I need it.

Paint job is coming up soon, so I'll take the sending unit out to check, clean etc.

For now, I just put in 5 liters at a time when going on reserve. Got a slow fuel leak somewhere, but can't pinpoint it. My suspision is the left petcock, as it SLOWLY drips when the tank is off.

The joys of a 28 year old bike... BUT, still less problems and more joy than SWMBO who is about the same age!!!

Rgds
            W
            79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
            transforming into:
            "Darth Vader"

Comment

originally posted by XS!*(^%#
              The joys of a 28 year old bike... BUT, still less problems and more joy than SWMBO who is about the same age!!!
              Hope she dosn't read this post...................
              Mine woulda FUBAR'ed me

mro

Comment

FUBAR...

She would probably have my most delicate extremities, but then, I scored some brownie points end of last year by buying her a new cage (New Ford KA) instead of another bike.

Was looking at a large trailie like Africa Twin/BM GS or similar. Also meant that I got to sell my cage to get a Double cab pick-up that I wanted... Will have to wait till July when I get production bonus for another scoot.
                79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
                transforming into:
                "Darth Vader"

Comment

Working...
                X