Swapping fork springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping fork springs

I have a set progressive front springs that I got off ebay some time back.

I was looking at the fork diagram in the Clymer and it looked like all I have to do to change springs is pull the handle bars, remove the top fork caps, and pull/replace the springs...

Is it really that easy?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

yes did mine the other day, easy and the results are nothing short of a complete transformation.

oh yes the bike has to be jacked up otherwise it'll bounce down and the springs up.

the tough part is putting the caps back on without stripping them

i would when all the springs are out and the fluid changed and pumped and measured, take the cap and go ccw, until it clicks in the tread and mark the 12 o'clock position

then during install wuththe spring, position the cap at 12:05 go ccw until the click and go cw, and now you have a bite...

good luck!
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

+1 on trying not to strip the caps when reinstalling. I'm a bit ham fisted and did that once.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

If you have a standard, yes it is. Do be careful with the caps, as they are easy to strip. I used a jack to get the front of the bike in the air, and then pulled the handlebars and caps. Putting the caps back on, I use a socket and small ratchet, pushed down hard and slowly turned the cap to get it started.
        If you have a special, you will have to put a PVC spacer on the springs. That should be in the instructions that came with the springs.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I do have a special and got the springs off ebay. I don't know if there is a spacer included. I don't remember the auction saying anything about a spacer. Is it something I can make myself?
          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject
            I do have a special and got the springs off ebay. I don't know if there is a spacer included. I don't remember the auction saying anything about a spacer. Is it something I can make myself?
            mine is a standard and i did not use the spacers, they gave me, if you need them or copies of the instructions let me know i can measure the pvc pipe for you to get some at your home depot and fax the instructions
            History
            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
            79 yamaha xs1100f
            03 honda cbr 600 f4
            91 yamaha fzr 600
            84 yamaha fj 1100
            82 yamaha seca 750
            87 yamaha fazer
            86 yamaha maxim x
            82 yamaha vision
            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Yes, you can. I'll check when I get home, or you can search the progressive web site, and they should have the length you need for each spacer. The one thing you WILL need is a washer to go on top of the spacer. I don't know the diameter, but it needs to just fit inside the fork tubes.
              Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Ray,

Don't you mean a washer between the spring and the spacer, in other words, on top of the springs? Or are you saying to put the spacer in the tubes first? I put my spacer on TOP of my springs when I put on my 4" over tubes! I don't remember using a washer but it's been many years since I put it together!

So...since I have a Special which are already longer than the Standard, to use the Progressive springs I would possibly need to get a spacer about 8" long? Hmmmm?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well, I opened up the box and there were the spacers(~4"). No washers, though Oh well, those should be easy enough to get at the hardware store.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

use the washers that i think are in the bike, my standard had it, i don't know about specials, if you have preload adjustments then then there should be a washer.
                    History
                    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                    79 yamaha xs1100f
                    03 honda cbr 600 f4
                    91 yamaha fzr 600
                    84 yamaha fj 1100
                    82 yamaha seca 750
                    87 yamaha fazer
                    86 yamaha maxim x
                    82 yamaha vision
                    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Tight coils on the top for progressive forks, also way easier to get the fork caps back on with the forks off the bike.

Comment

Working...
                      X