Rotten teeth!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotten teeth!!

Well, looks like my drive shaft needed greasing a long time ago.. I pulled the rear tire off for the first time (yea, I'm a nuby) and thought I would check out the final drive and shaft for grease, after reading about how the zirc fitting doesn't do anything...CRAP the teeth on the end of the drive shaft look like there ain't much left, instead of looking like nice pyramids, they look like jagged mountain peaks. I thought it felt like there was a bit of slop in the drive....OH YEA! So now it looks like I'm gonna need a new shaft...any suggestions? good used? not available new? I really want to drive over to the east coast this summer, and don't want to have to push it for the last part of the trip. Probably need a new gear on the final drive also, wouldn't you think.
    I appreciate any suggestions......
    Thanks, Rich C.

Re: Rotten teeth!!

I have seen final drives and drive shafts go for cheap on ebay.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Andreas may have something for you too....
      Ken Talbot

Comment

If your gonna go cross country you might want to think about the XS 750 final drive mod. If I was gonna take mine touring I'd have it even without the problems.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=11605
        Russ Neal
        Milton, NH
        04 GL1800 ABS
        04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
        99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
        80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
        83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
        80 XS1100G(Sold)
        81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Rich,

If all you need is a drive shaft, I have several spares.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Rotten teeth

Well, I couldn't wait, and I went to Bent Bike in Lynwood, WA. and got another final drive and a shaft both in excellent condition. Probably paid too much, but since I got the bike free, I'm still miles ahead. So I go out to the garage with my trusty(?) Clymers, and in it the directions say pull back the rubber boot, and undo the 4 bolts there and slide the shaft out.....NOT!!! what the heck? all I did was unbolt the universal from the output flange. how does that undo the shaft? OK,OK I'm a whiny baby but I just want to fix my bike. So how do I get the old shaft out? is it just pushed in there?......I guess I just need to calm down because the weather forcast is for more rain, rain, rain....
            Thanks to all for your input during my winter fix-a-thon
            Rich C.

Comment

more rotten teeth

Alrighty then!
              I dug through all the old posts, and came across someone that was singing the same blues as me..looks like all I had to do was give it a good yank, and it came right out. YIPPEE!! I took a couple of photos of the old and new shafts but don't know how to post them, but the old shaft teeth look like little replicas of the matterhorn, while the new teeth look like pyramids with flat tops..I think that's how they are supposed to look Yea? I am so stoked that I caught this in the comfort of my garage, and not out on some lonely highway in Nebraska.
              while I was digging for answers, it was interesting to read all the different posts about a hunnert different subjects relating to the XS11, Geez this is REAL entertainment here!!!
              Well I guess my current crisis is over now, so everyone can shut off their lights and sirens, and go home for a well deserved rest, until next time I dial 9-XS-11
              Thanks again for all your help
              Rich C

Comment

Working...
              X