Headlight Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Power?

Need help with headlight gremlins. I have power from main switch to headlight relay, but no power passing through. I have tested relay with dedicated power and power does pass through. Any help would be appreciated!! THANKS!

Have you tried to trip it on to see if it will stay on with the headlight running? If your headlight runs fine then the secondary is ok. That being the case, your primary is bad and that could be a number of things.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Re: Headlight Power?

I don't know what model you have, Weedman. If you have the later models that have an inline diode for the switching side of the relay, that could be your problem. In other words, an alternating current comes in from the alternator from one of the phases, which is converted to direct current (sort of), by the diode, which goes to the relay and closes the higher amperage switch for the headlight.

Originally posted by TXWeedMan
      Need help with headlight gremlins. I have power from main switch to headlight relay, but no power passing through. I have tested relay with dedicated power and power does pass through. Any help would be appreciated!! THANKS!
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Tweed,

Have you checked your charging system lately? IF you're not charging, it won't latch the relay! Your Reg/RECT could have recently fried, and you're not charging, just running off battery! Check your voltages at idle and again at 2500 rpm, should go from ~12 to 14.5, if stuck at 12 or less, then you're not charging, and need to fix that, then the headlight will probably fix itself!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Jump It

You can remove the relay and jump the in and out. The headlight would then be on when the key is on. I used a piece of 12 Ga and some black tape. Not high tech but effective.
          Check the connections at the relay, I believe that is the problem I have. The juice is good and my relay works. I just have not gotten back around to putting it back together.
          Do a search on "headlight and relay" for info.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

Working...
          X