Running rich???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running rich???

I have a 78 that is stock. Stock air box with a Uni filter. Stock exhaust. And as far as i can tell stock jetting. The bike runs fine, no flat spots as I wind it up. It idles fine. Here is the but. It always starts on the first notch of the "choke". And only takes a minute or two before I can push it in all the way in. When it is cold out, below 35 to 40 it will not start with any "choke". It must be pushed in all the way or it won't start. I notice that I get a smell when it as at idle like it is to rich. I have not checked the plugs to see. I have some ideas but since I don't want to "lead "the gurus I'll keep them to my self. Thanks, Jeffe
    78E ... Gone but not forgotten
    2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Usually, colder conditions cause more "choke" to get an engine running. If it has been a while since the engin has run, put the petcock on prime setting to fill the bowls. Also, use no throttle when starting because it defeats the necessary vacuum to run the enricheners (choke).
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

It sounds to me like the enrichener circuit is dirty in one or more carbs, and someone has played with the pilot air circuit and tuning to compensate. I'll bet one or more of the orifices in the bottom of the float bowls is plugged.

With totally clean and functioning enrichener circuits, a well tuned XS should be very hard to start at cold temperatures without using the choke.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

WHen it is cold, if you pull the "choke," will it start if you open the throttle wide open? It is probably something that a carb cleaning wouldn't solve. Your petcocks aren't leaking are they? Pull the filter out and check for wetness in the bottom of the air box.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

I try to start it with out any throtle. Petcocks are not leaking. I only noticed the cold start thing lately. The issue of smelling like it is running rich has been going on. ANd like I said, other than this it runs well.
          78E ... Gone but not forgotten
          2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Working...
          X