crankcase ventilation positively

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crankcase ventilation positively

i look all over and up in here, but could not find the answer...

i saw oil going into the airbox due to high oil levels

i saw moister, sucked into the middle gear

i saw breathers mounted high, i saw vent tubes hang low...

now if i wanted to go indy filters, why not rig something up so that the vent tube get direct vaccum from one of the ports off a manifold...course the cylinder would get soaked...

it already gets it in the airbox, maybe to a lesser degree...

any opinions?? thanks
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

When the vent hose is connected to an airbox, the pressure from the crankcase pushes some 'oily air' into the airbox, and some of that will get sucked through all four of the carbs. By plugging directly to one of the vacuum nipples, there would be suction on the hose from the nipple as well as pressure from the crankcase. I think this would draw way more 'oily air' into the engine, and in fact into just one cylinder.

Oil getting up into the airbox due to overly high oil level is easy to fix, just get the level back down to where it's supposed to be.

Some guys have rigged up a breather hose attachment to the end of one of the individual filters. Others just put a filter onto the end of the hose to keep bugs and dirt out, and tie it up somewhere up under the tank.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Mason,
      My air box has been gone for 20 years. I have a polished aluminum plate that fills the void between the side covers to hide the battery, etc. I use a small filter with on the end of a short piece of tubing and it is attached to a small angle clip that is pop riveted to the aluminum plate. It is a simple hookup and seems to work very well.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

thanks gents! like i said mike, i like your work, is that what that was that shiny sheet in front of the battery?

i got my uni's indys and mac 4 to 1 coming i will try to post pics

btw, they say unifilter oil is tackier, i've been using 20 year old pj1 for k and n type filter on my foam single filter,

i did notice it migrating to the bottom and when i goggled it, it is the wrong stuff, any comments?
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by mason79
          thanks gents! like i said mike, i like your work, is that what that was that shiny sheet in front of the battery?
          Yep. I made a template from cardboard and then cut the plate from 1/8" aluminum then polished it up on a buffing wheel. it is attached to the two frame risers with plastic tie-wraps so if I need to get in there from the front it can be easily removed.

Also, I would use the correct oil for your filters. For instance, K&N oil will gradually dissolve the uni filter foam....Yeah, I know this from experience.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
          X