Needed: Needle valve assemblies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needed: Needle valve assemblies

I finally got the petcocks to stop leaking. For the first time since I owned my XS1100F the petcocks don't look like they picked up an STD from a gas tank of the evening or some spontaneous hookup at the gas tank tavern.

However, the chore of making sure gas won't leak when my bike is parked is only half complete. When I pulled my carbs to clean them, I noticed that the air jet needles were not stock. Not even close to stock, in fact. That leads me to believe that the PO picked up some incorrect carb rebuild kits and used the parts anyway. That makes me suspect that the needle valves also were wrong and will never seal completely and correctly.

I have a set of carbs I picked up from another member, but two of the needles valves were really gunked up and didn't clean as well as I hoped.

Does anyone have a pair of needle valves they could part with? I hate to buy expensive rebuild kits which may or may not be correct just to get these two valves.

Any help anyone can provide will be appreciated.

Happy New Year,

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Check partsnmore.com They might not have them listed under xs1100. I've used the ones under xs400 & xs750 without any problem. If you have a standard you don't want the rubber tipped ones. Of course don't forget to adjust the floats.

Red
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I hate to buy expensive rebuild kits which may or may not be correct just to get these two valves.
      Sould be able to find at local bike shop.
      about $5.00 ea.......

should be the plain metal ones for 79' carbs.

mro

Comment

Why not the rubber tipped ones? I was just told not long ago that we are supposed to use the rubber tipped ones.
        1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
        1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
        1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

To use rubbers or not

78/79 carbs, non rubber tipped

80/81 carbs, use rubber

Can have any carb set on any year, so depends on carbs.
          Generally if your carbs float needle seat comes out with a wrench they should be early carbs that use the non-rubber tip ones.

If held in with a small bracket and screw they are the latter.

mro

Comment

Thanks. Mine have the bracket that holds them in. They were the metal tipped ones that I took out. The rubber tipped replaced them.

Comment

Not a bad idea to "bench" test em before putting back on bike.
              Rather have em leak on the bench than into crank case or filters.

mro

Comment

Good idea, I'll try that.

Comment

Working...
                X