no tail light or right turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no tail light or right turn signals

can anyone help ,i have a 79 xs special and my taillight and right turn signals arent working.help

Check your ground on the rear turn signal. I know that can be a problem with these bikes. And just to make sure check the front turn light to make sure it's tight. I can't remember if that model has the turn signals connected to the head light or not. You may also check the wiring inside the head light bucket. Make sure you have no broken or kinked wires. You can use a test light check. Also does the turn light come on but don't flash. That would help to know. Also check the fuse's. I believe there is one for the tail light. Check that first. Does it have brake lights? If the fuse is good check the wiring under the seat that goes to the light. Your problem may be there. I guess if all else fails check your bulbs. There are some really smart people here when it comes to these bikes. One of them will chime in. I thought I knew it all when it came to these bikes but what I have learned here will blow you away. And when you get your bike running really good from all the help here, your bike will blow you away
    Good Luck!
    Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
    87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
    93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
    71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
    69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

If one turn doesn't work, the other on that side won't either.
      On rear turns, ground wire can easily get corrosion and keep em from working. Behind head light turns use a "bullet" type wire connector, can get corroded too.

Left turn "chocolate", right "dark green".
      Both have grounds too.

Can use multi-meter to see if getting votage (pos lead to colored wire, neg to frame)

Rear light has three main wires, (plug connector under seat, more connectors behind light) check connections and grounds. If no go then will need to start checking with MM for power, opens/shorts.

mro
      btw, when working correctly, will flash w/o engine running. Should you hear a buzz/rattel from behind right side cover thats the flasher. Probably indicates a poor ground/connection somewhere in turn wireing.
      Last edited by mro; 12-30-2006, 10:23 PM.

Comment

turn signals

thanks for the input,when i turn the right turn signal on the right rear comes on and stays on front one does nothing no light,checked the bulb its good.but when i start the bike without the turn signal on the front right comes on and stays on with the headlight..

Comment

Hey Jethro,

The Specials front lights are ONLY turn signals, not running lights, those were on the standards! You'll need to investigate the wires up in the headlight bucket, something's not plugged in correctly, or pinched and shorting out on a wire it shouldn't be!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X