Cam chain tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain tensioner

The Yamaha parts fiche lists several replacement parts for the innards of the cam chain tensioner for a XS1100F. That means in my mind (weird, scary and confusing place that it is) that this thing comes apart. My cam chain tensioner is binding instead of springing back easily, so I'd like to take it apart and clean it out. Can anyone tell me how this comes apart? I hate to just start yanking on stuff to see if it separates.

Thanks,

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Yeah. take off the ignition cover and turn the crank clockwise (there is an engraved arrow) until you stop at the C mark. remove the two bolts. That it it for removal. If you unlock the buddy nut and unscrew the stopper bolt, the push-ram will fly out and bounce off of your forehead and make you feel "silly." (Don't ask.)
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks, Skids. What actually happened was I removed the stopper bolts and then twisted the push ram with a pair of robogrips until it finally came free. I cleaned and polished the push ram, sprayed silicon lubricant into the adjuster body and pushed the push ram into and out of the body until it came out clean and the push ram moved easily into and out of the body.

Now, I believe, the push ram just might hit me in the forehead. It's disturbing what 15 years in the elements will do to a simple piece of machinery.

I was just afraid there might be a c-clip or something on the shaft that the parts fiche didn't show.

Thanks.

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

originally posted by skids
        fly out and bounce off of your forehead and make you feel "silly." (Don't ask.)
        At least it's not a sharp pointy thing
        Does kinda suck trying to find it when it flies across the shop tho..

mro

Comment

beats a sharp stick in the eye
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

If you unlock the buddy nut and unscrew the stopper bolt, the push-ram will fly out and bounce off of your forehead and make you feel "silly." (Don't ask.)
            These aren't supposed to do that. The plunger should bottom out, but stay together. That's one way to check if your chain is stretched to the limit. Adjust your chain normally, then tighten the retaining nut. Then take off the adjuster, loosen the retaining nut and keeper... and see if it pops out further. There is an official measurement for this for the limits, but it is a quick check. But the plunger SHOULD stay within the adjuster body. That way there's no danger of motor ingestion at it's limit.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

These aren't supposed to do that

Well, if ye be but only a little Xsive
              and your in the process of reassembly
              (cause you took it all apart for a clean and inspection )
              and your finger mysteriously should slip off the "plunger" while it's almost full depressed..........
              sucker can really fly

mro

Comment

Or, if you had the assembly sitting in your hand, and if you wondered if it came completely apart, and if you kept unscrewing the keeper bolt....
                Ken Talbot

Comment

So, just because we can, here is a visual that gives a clear picture of why the plunger can achieve such a distance when the stopper bolt is removed. You have the spring under quite a bit of compression, the stopper bolt comes free of the little hook at the end of the plunger, and wallah - thar she blows!

Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                  X