wont even crank over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wont even crank over

i took the engine out of my 79 xs,to put in new xs ,after doing the 2nd gear fix,now i cant even get the motor to turn over,no right side turn signals,or headlight,left signals work fine.i checked the fuses all good,i have power to the starter relay,top right post but not bottom post.with key on i have no power to the wires running in to the motor on right and left side.everything ran fine 2 days ago when i went for a ride prior to tearing motor out of old to put in new......what am i diong wrong ,any suggestions????

Sounds like a bad earth to me. All those problems combined point to a single point somewhere.

Check earth to frame and frame to engine connections for dirt, corrosion or loose connections.

I recently powdercoated my frame and rebuilt the bike. I nearly cried when I had to grind off some of that perfect finish to get a good earth from the battery. Before I ground it back the lights were on but as soon as I hit the start button everything went out.
    1981 XJ550RH
    1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
    1978 XS1100F X Streem
    1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
    Jet/Mod Calculator
    Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

check/clean grounds???

Starter
      Start buttom wire is a ground to complete circut to selinoid.
      Use ohm meter to check that wire from start button to solenoid works. Disconnect wire at solenoid then (meter, one test lead to wire on solenoid and other to ground) when button pushed should show continuity.

No continuity then problem with wire or button. Test good then solenoid may have a problem. Can "jump" solenoid to test that starter works.

Also sounds like you may have a loose plug connection or two.
      Possible to have pulled on wires to ignition switch when working on it? May need to inspect connections there and behind head light.

79' head light...
      check that you are getting power to head light relay. (blue/black wire goes from switch to relay, also to reserve lighting unit)

Have not ever check out the reserve lighting unit, but from the way head light is wired if it's bad, light should not work.

mro

Comment

wont turn over

hey thanks for the input,i found the problem ,it was the starter switch,found it by accidentally touching the test light across both leads on back of the switch and it turned over.so i replaced the switch with the one from my other xs.it worked,you guys are awesome,this web site is a life saver to know that there are this many people to lend a helping hand.....

Comment

Working...
        X