Standard Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Tank

Anyone know some trick for getting the gas tank lid open on a standard without the key. I guess I could carry it up to the locksmith but I would like to see what the inside of this tank looks like before I sink any $ in it.
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

The key is the only way. IF you have a sma;; piece of spring steel, like part of a slim-jim, you may be able to bend it and use it to open the cap. The metal would have to be bent in a "J" shape, and even then it may not work.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

locked out

Not what I wanted to hear. I’ve read the threads on keys and I’m not sure I understand everything I know. If I found a member with a key from a 79 with the numbers 3991 on their locks would that key open this tank? Sort of a loaner program. Any volunteers? I’ll pay the postage
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I happened to have a lock out set that helped me with a standard tank that was locked. In it there was a fake metal key. Didn't really have any teeth cut in it. It was really kind of flat. What you may try is use a small screw driver that will allow you some room to use a small allen wrench to push on the tumblers and use the screw driver to turn and as you work the tumblers. Or if you happen to have something that is thin that you can cut to the size of key to fit inside so you car work the tumblers. If I remember correctly there was only 3 or 4 tumblers to fight with. Took me about 3 minutes to get it open. If you want I'll post a picture of the key I got in my lock set to give you an idea.
        Anyway Good Luck!
        Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
        87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
        93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
        71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
        69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Back in 78-79 I had a 76 DT400. With a pocket knife blade about the same size as a key...just stick it in the key slot and giggle back and forth and around and presto. Takes about 5 seconds. Haven't tryed on an XS11 so I don't know???
          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

couldn't hurt?

Have opened a few cheep pad locks in the past w/o key

Pound the end of a wire coat hanger flat.
            Metal is relatively soft.
            Use flattened end as key, press down on cap to help relieve amount of pressure needed to open.

mro
            btw
            have found that I can open caps on two of my XS's with different keys.

Comment

I have opened far to many xs1100 gas tanks w/o keys always use a very small screwdriver (flat head) the kind for eyeglasses. Just insert and try to push down and forcefully turn to the right ususally opens after a few attempts. Sometimes have to use a slightly larger screwdriver but same technique. good luck it is a simple lock.

Comment

I have found many tumblers have the sliders removed so as long as something is put in there, it will rotate. You could just jimmi the tumbler and if the tank is good, get a new tumbler and have it set to your key. I did it myself one time and it isnt that hard to pull the tumbler apart and file new sliders to fit.
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

over this side of the pond we just give the key number to the key man 10 min`s later we have a working key,,,all for about £10....if you want to wait about a week..one could be sent over.

Comment

Open saysame

Thanks for the help folks. Small flat blade screw driver and some magic words and she opened up. Real happy with the condition on the inside of the tank also. To bad its off a standard.
                    wingnut
                    81 SH (Daily Ride)
                    81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hey Wingnut,

There's a new user with a MNS that wants to convert it to a Cafe racer with a STandard tank, he might be willing to trade you for it, I think his user name is Gixxer something!!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC. Hey GIXXER, I've got the tank and the tail piece from a 79 standard that would look real good on your project and real silly on my Special. Wana swap for a Special tank?
                        wingnut
                        81 SH (Daily Ride)
                        81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

let me get my hands on the bike and check the tank. i am scared of what the inside might look like. if it is usable for you, i think we can definitely work something out. how big of a rush are you in?
                          Danny

1980 MNS
                          1994 GSXR711
                          1999 Harley Softail

www.streetdreams.org

Comment

Time,,,,is on myside.....

No Rush. I've started inspecting the tank. Surface rust but its real solid. It will need to be creamed but that's just about standard for all of these old machines. Let me know when you are ready.

Dave
                            wingnut
                            81 SH (Daily Ride)
                            81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

No key

Just take the number to the Yammy dealer and he can get you a new key, about 5 bucks.
                              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                              Drilled airbox
                              Tkat fork brace
                              Hardly mufflers
                              late model carbs
                              Newer style fuses
                              Oil pressure guage
                              Custom security system
                              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...