Uncle Bob's new hot rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Bob's new hot rod

Here's Bob Jones' new Eleven. He's calling it an SSR/2. He claims it's making 150 hp with nothing more than an Wiseco 1196 kit and a ported head (stock cams).

Too bad he doesn't back this non-sense up with a bona-fide dyno run and few ET's.

Oh well...it still looks cool...

Check it here:

http://www.merriamcycle.com/xs11-SSR2.html

PS: ...wear your knee high boots...it gets pretty deep over there.

That's a nicely finished bike all right. Some of the things I would do differently, but that's what motorcycle building is all about, your own vision. Big money bike though.
    Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Yeah, it's beautiful....150 horses is a big claim, and I bet he's getting well over 100 at any rate, but still...

For that price I could likely build 12 or 13 decent ones, or 6 (for my standards) really kickass ones, or maybe buy a truck and still build 5 average ones, or build a garage to put them all in and still buy 4 or 5 more....etc.

It's awful nice though....
      80 XS1100SG
      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I've got something in my living room that looks similar, my christmas tree

Doesn't go with the "less is more" theory does he.

I think I'll order one of those wiseco kits if you get that many horses
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by TomB
          I've got something in my living room that looks similar, my christmas tree ...................I think I'll order one of those wiseco kits if you get that many horses
          Now that's funny!

Yeah well Bobby gets a little carried away with his styling and his power claims.

But I do like some of his ideas...the shape of his seat...the way he paints his engines and wheels.

I would just love to see a dyno run on one of his bikes. Actually I'd love to see the look on his face once he realized what they were really making.

Comment

I think that the most amusing of the wildest claims is the possibility of a 9 second quarter
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I'd be skeptical if their bikes were even hitting 100 ponies, 1196 and port job should be giving a good increase in torque though(that's torque.. not TALK ) pipes, jets, filters etc.. maybe an extra 12-15 horses all up, like Maxxy says, show us the damn proof! No denying those bikes look sexy though. I read about a F1 class XS11 race bike, raced for a couple of seasons by some guys in S.Africa years back (this one was kosher!) these guys tweaked it to a reliable 110 hp at the back tyre - after blowing the motors a few times experimenting! You're talking ports, cranks, cams, valve gear, flatslides, massive weight reductions, chaindrive and god knows what else, the thing was hitting over 265 KPH on the track, if only they'd added a shiny paint job, jeez, it would've been good for at least 365 KPH then...

Comment

I don't get it...

I love my XS. I'll do what I can to keep it running well. When I learn more, and have more money to play with, I may get adventurous and do some performance mods.

But if I had 20+ grand to spend on a bike I'd probably buy a new one. But to be precise, I don't even think I'd have spend that much on a bike to be satisfied. Who pays these prices for these things?
                1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I can understand wanting to make an old bike quicker and smarter looking, but I really get a buzz from getting the old XS to run great and ride it damn fast for as little money as possible.

Sure anyone can throw money at something and get it smart.
                  getting it GREAT for nothing! Now that is cool!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Tom
                  1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

bang for the buck

i'm with you man, cheap hobby!
                    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                    History
                    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                    79 yamaha xs1100f
                    03 honda cbr 600 f4
                    91 yamaha fzr 600
                    84 yamaha fj 1100
                    82 yamaha seca 750
                    87 yamaha fazer
                    86 yamaha maxim x
                    82 yamaha vision
                    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Gee, and I'm looking to get 150 RWHP on the winter project. But then, I'm going to use a turbocharger with a big bore kit to make the HP. If I can do it with just a big bore and some porting, that would be cheaper!!
                      Oh, I guess I should use the turbo, as I'm going to tune it on a dyno!
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

HP

If this bike was on juice it could be done easily. A friend has a Suzuki GS1100,stock valves,very mild street grind cam,stockhead,bigbore kit,NO2 system,air shifter,fat rear tire. best 1/4mile 7.97sec at 160mph from a low budget motor with nitros.
                        Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

There's a world of difference between a GS1100E and an XS Eleven. It's called 4 valves per cylinder.

Comment

NO2 system

I take it you're talking Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) injection.

That'll make a huge difference also.
                            Tom

Comment

NO2 is great for a quick, one time boost. You dial in the HP you want when you set it up, and go from there. For street riding, I think a Turbo, set up with a minimum of lag, works well. Yamama did put a turbo on the 650 in '82 and 83. With the 12psi kit, they had about 1.5 seconds of lag, and then the front end came up.
                              NO2 can be eqsily set up for 50 hp on a bike, and you can probably set it for 75hp, if the motor was ready for it. unlike the turbo, it is a digital hp gain. You have engine hp, and then +75, and NO in between.
                              Ray
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X