Flasher 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flasher 101

My left turn signal flashes but never cancels, but my right turn signal cancels after a turn or after 8 or 10 seconds. I took the switch apart and cleaned it up, it seems OK and no obvious difference between left and right. I don't understand how the canceling feature works, though, which makes troubleshooting it a problem. Is my flasher unit bad? I have read here that generic automotive units won't cancel which makes me think it is a built in feature, now failing.

Any theories on this?
    David Browne
    XS11SG Crunchbird
    XS500E

Check the tech tips section... there's an article bout this stuff. Since one cancelles, the other does not, I'd say it's the switch.
    As I can remember from the article, there are some metal plates, that shouldn't.... eh, just read the article, it's good.

It's in off-site tips... here's the link

http://www.sonic.net/~blaineh/turnsignal.html

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Thanks! It must be my copper leaf is bent a little, I will check it again. I didn't understand the tip the first time, but now maybe I do.
      David Browne
      XS11SG Crunchbird
      XS500E

Comment

Re: Flasher 101

Take the switch off the HB and open the housing. You will see that the mechanism is a slider that activates a "momentary" switch. It is most likely sticking on the side that never turns off. Get some electrical cleaner spray (NOT carb cleaner), cover the tank, spray it in there and work the switch back and forth. The cancelling unit is seperate and is apparently working.

Originally posted by crunchbird
        My left turn signal flashes but never cancels, but my right turn signal cancels after a turn or after 8 or 10 seconds. I took the switch apart and cleaned it up, it seems OK and no obvious difference between left and right. I don't understand how the canceling feature works, though, which makes troubleshooting it a problem. Is my flasher unit bad? I have read here that generic automotive units won't cancel which makes me think it is a built in feature, now failing.

Any theories on this?
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
        X