Front master cylinder plunger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front master cylinder plunger

I cannot get my breaks to bleed at all. And from some of the tips I have seen here, I think I have over extended the plunger in the master cylinder. I took the master cylinder apart with intentions of trying to fix it but the Clymers manual offers NO info on how to remove it.

After fiddling with it for a while, I did get it to build pressure with my finger over the hole for the brake line, but I think it over extended again. I want to take it apart to fix it, but I am afraid to force it too much.

PLEASE HELP. I would welcome any help, how do you remove the plunger safely?

Also, is the Haynes manual any better about how to do things. The Clymer's does not seem to get into real technical items. Or would I be better off ordering the manual from Yamaha?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys.
    David

1981 XS1100SH "The Sleeper"

There is a rubber boot that covers the end of the plunger, it has a wole in the end and the other end has a metal ring that sort of holds it in to the MC. Get a small screw driver or pick and remove this boot, I think the ne kit comes with a new one but I could be wrong.

Next look down in on the end of the plunger and you will see a Snap ring holding the plunger in. It is seated deep and is hard to get out but I use two stiff picks to get it started then just work it up.

Once the snap ring is out the plunger just pulls out, there is a return spring but it does not shoot out at you or any thing. Have you read the tips sections on brakes and plungers and bleeding and all that? If not, do it now. I have never seen one of the seals 'overextend', I read the tip....I beleive it to be almost impossible though since I regularly bottomed it out before I read the tip. It must happen however in some cases. These brakes can be a BITCH to bleed, I know what I am doing and have a power bleeder and I had one set that took me days to bleed. I swapped everthing I could and still no pressure. Try pumping it with the cap and seal in place, sometimes this helps.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
    X