A Gurl & her Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gurl & her Bike

being a new xs owner & a gurl... i have got vauable help from this site already, as i seem 2 watch & follow others threads, to learn as much as i can on this machine, i have become increasing concerened & a worry wort about my bike as it seems like there r so many little things that come up.. my bike seems 2 ride & run well @ 24000K but.... i feel like im just waitn 4 something 2 go wrong after readn alot of these posts anything any1 can say 2 help put me @ ease.. as being a gurl, any work i may need preformed needs 2 b done by a mechanic and that scares the $$$ out of me.. LOL so ... here i am ... anything i should be looking for besides different noises & drips that would warn me of a potential problem... knew i should of taken automechaincs in school.... but my dad wouldnt let me.... how i regret that now... so u guys will probably laugh @ me but, i need 2 learn as much as i can, so i dont go crazy or broke thanks
    mb

Just check oil levels, change it every 2-3 thousand miles, change the filter, air filter... other than that... maybe brake oil, other stuff is more or less apparent... tires, brakes....

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

You can always learn something new. Carolyne does all her own work on her XJ.

Maybe a local community college has an auto mechanics class? The cost of a class and some tools will pay for itself the first time you don't have to go to a mechanic! Plus, it isn't all that easy to find a good mechanic...
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Re: A Gurl & her Bike

Originally posted by MeanMarysXS11
        being a new xs owner & a gurl... (snip) .. as being a gurl, any work i may need preformed needs 2 b done by a mechanic and that scares the $$$ out of me.. LOL so ... (snip)mb

There is no innate ability instilled into the male sex by God to work on machines. There is that role-model thing and it seems that your dad has leaned on you a little bit. Don't worry about it. If you are riding an XS11, you are already out of control! =:-) That said, go get youself a Clymer's manual. It gives a lot of exploded views so you don't have to blow the bike up with dynamite yourself. I don't ever want to hear that excuse again about being handicapped because you are a female. My own daughter would flip out if she hear that. Her twin sister, however would probably use that excuse! Don't be afraid of removing nuts, bolts, and screws. They are simple devices.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Re: A Gurl & her Bike

Don't be afraid of removing nuts, bolts, and screws. They are simple devices.
          Just rememer to tap them gently with a hammer if they won't budge. It's an old machine, besides, hammer is a useful tool

LP

PS: Tap on the nuts and bolts, not wrench... altho it might help, it may also snap the head off.
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Hey what part of NY are you from? I am in the Syracuse area. We have several XSives in the area that may be willing to show you the basic stuff. Once one of these bikes has been gone through, you hardly have to touch it. Don't let the common stuff go undone and you should be ok.
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Hey, you could have my bike with 54k miles. Just keep reading threads and caring about your bike. Maybe read "Zen and the Art of of Motorcycle Maintenance".
              xjguy

Comment

Hey Mary,

I grew up essentially a fatherless child, learned how things went together by building model cars and such, then tinkered with my bicycle, then got a car and took 1/2 year/semester autoshop class in HighSchool, then, had a friend/neighbor guide me thru the early learning curve doing oil changes, tuneups, etc., then just used the manual like a "cook book"....you do know how to cook don't you???!!!!

Get in there, read, research, learn how to turn wrenches, and get your hands dirty.....it's fun, just think of it like workin' in a metal garden!!!

But like the others have said, these machines are very reliable, sturdy, hardy, just a little maintainance and they run well!!
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yah, the forum gives an impression that these decrepit bikes are all broke down. NOT! These are tremendously reliable machines that take people all over the map. Not many other old bikes have the same confidence factor. It seems like you have a good solid machine and a good eye out for trouble, so just keeping it going for another 80,000 miles won't be hard. Mostly you just take stuff apart, clean it, put it back together. Life should be so easy.
                  David Browne
                  XS11SG Crunchbird
                  XS500E

Comment

Thes are very reliable machines, once you get them in the running shape they got out of from previous owners ,or from just sitting and being neglected. Go to Sears and get some tools,and tell Dad to come over and give you some help,,,getting used to the finer points of using them,,like not being a monkey fist and busting off bolts and screws just cause he says make them tight.
                    If he won't,,,, tear it apart yourself ,there nothing more fun than a little destruction. Then you will know all you need to know when its finally back together again,,along the way do all your homework,, I.E the manual,,,,,ask questions ,pick brains,,,there are alot of experienced folks right here that can help. Most can't physically help but there are lots of pictures,and tech tips with very good descriptions of how to and what not to do. Above all enjoy,,,its supposed to be enjoyable,,,and drink lots of beer Preferably Canadian.
                    Ken Krieger
                    Chesterfield, Va.
                    81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
                    82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
                    82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
                    79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
                    1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
                    85 XJ700 Maxim
                    06 VMax - Black Max
                    85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

i am not too far away, mary. i might come up and help you out. how mean ARE you????? ;O)
                      - dan
                      - thinker57@lycos.com
                      - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Awww, man...I was expecting pictures....
                        ~LoHo~
                        (Has anyone been booted off of this list yet? Is there a PLUS Forum available? :^})
                        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

LoHo wrote:
                          Awww, man...I was expecting pictures... (Has anyone been booted off of this list yet? Is there a PLUS Forum available? :^})
                          Nothing that wild here, but if you head over to GIXXER.COM, there's a "Hairy Palms" forum. Lots 'o' pix... not much discussion. FWIW

Bill K.
                          1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                          1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Working...
                          X