what is it worth and how to find vin info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is it worth and how to find vin info

i came acrooss a 1979 xs1100 special. it has about 2,000 original miles on it and has been stored for a really long time, it is in absolute mint condition and i think i am getting a pretty good deal but i figured i would ask you guys to see if you would know what the value is on it. and also is there any way to find out info on it by the vin number. i want to make sure it wasn't stolen or anything and carfax and simalar groups only go back to 1981. the reason i ask is that the owner doesn't have the title for it.any info would be great.

thanks alot
    barry

Check the numbers on the engine (right side, above the clutch) and on the frame (near the front fork). Check it good, since these numbers can be grinded off and new ones stamped in.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Get the VIN and get the local tag/dmv to run it and see what comes up. In GA vehicles over a certain age, ithink it is 15 years, do not need titles, but just use bills of sale.
      I gave $1700 for a 1981 midnight that had 17k, and was in great shape, it just needed a good carb cleaning, new plugs, and some rubber.
      '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

the vin number is 3h3014499

if anyone in here know how to do a search it would help me out alot because right now i am out of the country and i would like to know the info on this bike so i can pick it up when i get back

Comment

just getting back to the top. someone must have info. i did find out the bike has 1623 original miles.

Comment

Originally posted by cookmaster30
            just getting back to the top. someone must have info. i did find out the bike has 1623 original miles.
            101623? U never know.... I'm still not sure bout mine... is it 66966km or 166966km....

I hope the VIN checks out OK and that you'd get another great bike. Lotsa luck!

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

no it actually only has 1623 miles on it. so does anyone know an online site to check the vin number out.

Comment

contact the state dmv where it was last tagged. how much, just for conversation, is this puppy?
                '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

the guy wants $2000. i would like to know what it's really worth

Comment

I'm not being a smart-a$$ here - it's worth what someone will pay, it's worth what someone will take.

It's going to need tires. Does it run? Did it get parked because it had 2d gear problem, or pickup wires broken? Are the carbs gummed up? Any rust in the tank?

Just say it had all those problems - you could buy a used Bandit for the money you'd be putting into that XS.

OTOH, if all it needs is tires, and he won't take less, and you want to pay, then it's worth what you will pay. Most go for less, some go for more, it isn't a terribly outrageous asking price, unless some of the possible defects above exist. You'd have a great 'keeper' XS - I hear there's some folks around who like 'em

I guess nobody knows an online vin check, otherwise someone would have chimed in. Call the DMV.
                    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

For $2000 I would let the seller deal with the title problem first!
                      CUAgain,
                      Daniel Meyer
                      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Mileage has less to do with the value the older the bike is. My personal belief...you won't get it back on the road for less than $500.00. Rubber parts deteriorate even if not used. Carbs gum up if fuel was not drained, requiring cleaning. Rust can build up in cylinders, as at least one valve is open to atmosphere. Be very careful when starting that bike. Turn it over with the plugs out to get some lubrication to parts that have not felt oil in years. Check the fuse pannel, as the holders corrode with time, not miles. Examine the inside of the gas tank, as any water that condensed in the bottom will lead to rust problems and clogged petcocks.

Tires should be replaced if more than 5 years old, regardless of tread left. $180.00 - $250.00 minimum. Battery generally has a 3 year life span, less if not maintained. Price $40.00 and up.
                        Routine maintenance items: brake pads, fluid changes, new spark plugs and oil filter: $80.00.
                        You will need a repair manual to outline maintenance procedures such as adjusting the cam chain. New $40 - $50, used $10 - $20.
                        Other items that should be considered: rebuild brake master cylinders, particularly the rear. Brake lines deteriorate on the inside and put 'spooge' in the system, often not noticeable until the bike is being used again after a long time out of service. New air filter element. New brake lines. Examine the exhaust system, as the 20+ stock systems generally need some fixing or replacement. Not all have to be done at once, but you will find the first year of ownership of any old bike consists of getting the bike running and reliable.
                        No doubt there are some XS and XJs out there worth 2 grand, but they have all the maintenance, tires, exhaust, cosmetics taken care of. Very difficult to set a reasonable price without knowing the market conditions and a through inspection of the bike. Specials tend to bring more than standards or XJs. Just go into the deal with your eyes open and be realistic about the cost of getting the bike back on the road. Check to Classifieds section of XS11.com...several bikes for sale in different price ranges may give you some idea of what other bikes are selling for.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

the bike is in perfect working condition i had my father go look at it and take it for a test ride. the guy took it out a couple of times a year rode it up and down his street and changed all of the fluids and everything

Comment

Jerry,

Just point them towards my tip What to look for in a neglected XS It would save you a lot of typing.

My opinion is that there is no way it is in perfect condition after being in storage for so long. Unless the owner has just dumped a bunch of $$ and work into it to get it ready to sell and stored it in a temp and humidity controlled garage. $2000 is a premium price for one of these machines. It may or may not be worth it. I would have the owner sort out the title, or call the local DMV and see what your state requires. In NY only vehicles made before '72 are exempt from titles but in that case have a transferable registration. Here the PO is the only one that can get a copy of the title......
                            Gary Granger
                            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Something else to think about. I replaced my speedometer on my bike. It show 500 or so miles. I would never claim these to be original, but some folks might. Bike actually had 14 K on it when I replaced the speedo.

Just a friendly reminder, buyer beware!

Comment

Working...
                              X