Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear parts numbers and pricing.

Hey Shutchis,

Still sounds like you haven't found or read the tech tips in the Tranny section, follow THIS LINK and you'll find the 1st and 2nd gear Dremmel Fix.

Here's the part #'s and prices as quoted by www.cycle-parts.com. Buying from dealer will probably cost you even more! You can also use these #'s to check BikeBandit's prices.
    1 2H7-17211-00-00 GEAR,1ST WHEEL $94.42

2 2H7-17221-01-00 GEAR,2ND WHEEL $73.76

3 2H7-17241-00-00 GEAR,4TH WHEEL $92.33

4 2H7-17251-00-00 GEAR,5TH WHEEL $87.55
    Subtotal: $348.06
    As you can see, it's NOT a cheap repair when replacing ALL of the gears, or even 2 of them! That's why many of us FRUGAL folks have done the Dremmel instead!

BTW, many other tech tips that are NOT linked from the Yellow Column on the left ARE FOUND by scrolling down from the MAIN FORUM PAGE to the tech tips sections!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C is correct on those prices................and that is the cost froma Yammy dealer also...................just checked on that Yesterday when picking up a couple of ordered washers, the ones with the ears on them that retain the pins on the shift pawl shaft.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yes and that's just the output wheels. There's a whole 'nuther shaft with pinion gears. Believe it or not I replace two of those.

Comment

If you are going to replace the gears, then they must be replaced as a set, and I don't know if they are available anymore. When I last priced some they were around $50 per piece. Ask around some bike shops for a good machine shop, and explain what you need done. They will be familiar with the procedure. The undercutting is the best way to go. I had it done a couple of years ago when I did my big bore. No problems ever since. You can do it your self with the Dremel, but the shop will be more precise. I recently did a Dremel fix for trbig, and he says it's working ok.
          I just looked at bike bandit, and some of the gears are available, but they ain't cheap.

Comment

HEY!!

I helped! I drank several beers and cheered you on!

I did over-rev my engine recently, and now I have a bad valve or something. It still runs, but is popping and sputtering back into the #4 carb. I was running it VERY hard...accelerating through first and second... right at red-line in third... it popped into second!? It pegged the tac. I don't know if I just didn't shift hard enough or what... never had one do that. Anyone ever had this happen? I do know that I am glad I didn't get a couple legs full of hot oily steel exploding into them. All is good.. I have the extra parts to fix it... just have to tear it down AGAIN...

I don't suggest doing it... but this motor sounded solid even at those rpm's. It must have just floated a valve. Sorry to ambush the link! lol.

For the price of just the new gears... a guy could buy a whole "Newsed" motor AND tranny.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'll start the dremmel fix soon; because those prices are way too high for a rocket scientist. I printed the tech tips and I must say, TC and Ken Talbot wrote a nice repair thread; many have benefited from their fine work. I know I will.

Great pricing info, thanks for the data. And I’m sorry to hear about your over-rev…those things happen.

I’ll re-post after I repair the tranny; and add some pics to this thread. I’m already looking forward to rolling over my bike and rubbing her “belly”. Be good, ride safe. Stan
              '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
              Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
              '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
              Stan Hutchison

Comment

XJ 1100 1st gear problem

Hey,
                Im having a problem with my first gear. I can **** into first, but when letting off the clutch and giving it some gas, it feels like its poping in and out and will not move. All other gears are working fine. Im thinking its the actual gear, but not sure and if it is, where I can get the part and how do I go about fixing it. Id apreciate any help.

Thanks,
                Adam
                "Revenge is a dish best served cold"

82' XJ1100

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2980 View Post
                  Hey,
                  Im having a problem with my first gear. I can **** into first, but when letting off the clutch and giving it some gas, it feels like its poping in and out and will not move. All other gears are working fine. Im thinking its the actual gear, but not sure and if it is, where I can get the part and how do I go about fixing it. Id apreciate any help.

Thanks,
                  Adam
                  Adam - Welcome to the forum! What you are experiencing is the fabled 1st/2nd gear issue. It's a relatively simple fix, and takes an afternoon to complete. I can now do it in about 4 hours, start to finish. If you look at the tech tips, there are a few pictorial instructions that walk you through it. Usually, no parts are needed, and you can just use a dremel tool or air die grinder (my preferred tool) to re-cut the gears, and it will work like new again!
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                  X