New gears for trans rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New gears for trans rebuild

Not sure if any of you knew this but shortly after taking Mr. Zilla from 71 hp to 95 hp at the rear wheel my tranny started slipping in second.

So we're in the middle of getting that perfect.

I bought a used transmission from Andreas. It was in pretty good shape. But second had some wear on the dogs and slots...not bad jsut a little

So just to see the difference I bought new gears too.

I don't know if you realize this but the new OEM 2nd gear is already undercut from the factory. I suppose Yama-haha decided at some point they needed to address the second gear issue. So they started back cutting the gears.

The good thing about this new gear is it was built that way so the surface hardening hasn't been compromised.

I should have it back on the road in a few days. I report back at how it shifts.

hey maxx

wish you had a side by side pic of the two.....I just remember what my undercut gear looked like after the dremel fix. Iwill be doing it again to this spare motor I have while it is out of the frame....chop
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Re: hey maxx

Originally posted by xschop
      wish you had a side by side pic of the two.....I just remember what my undercut gear looked like after the dremel fix. Iwill be doing it again to this spare motor I have while it is out of the frame....chop
      It looks about like the other under cut OEM gear...what is is 3rd? 5TH? I can't recall but one is.

Comment

Got all buttoned up today and rolled it up on the dyno just to make sure it's still on.

It was. Made 95+ at the rear wheel. Replaced outputgears 1, 2 and 5. Replaced all the shift forks. Shifts are much tighter and certain now. But that is just on the dyno. The 1-2 shift seems much improved. I can't really articulate what it feels like compared to before. But it feels more firm...more certain...like there's no second guessing. I dunno if that's the back cut on the dogs or the modified lever GNEPIG sent me or what. Maybe it's my vivd imagination. But when you roll the throttle in second all the way to red it never makes a bobble...so at least that's fixed!

If Gene will chime in here and explain exactly what he did to tighten it up we might all learn something.

Gene (GNEPIG) sent me a modified Shift Lever. He welded it somehow and carefully ground it back down. It's the Shift 3 Lever that goes from the shift pawl to the shift cam (drum). This modified shift lever fits much tighter and took alot of the "slop" out of this shifts. Now the shift mechanism is more responsive.

GENE!? GENE!? Ya out there?

Comment

Maximan did you do the "fix" that moves the spacer? The one that is recommended in the "XS11 Heaven" book by Bob Jones. Just curious? I don't have any skipping problems yet?
          Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Yeah they re-arranged the washers and shims.

I didn't have any skipping problems either until after the engine hop-up.

Comment

.. the part that Cody is talking about is number 28, and what i have done is close the gap between the two hooks.
              .045" closer between the two points and .060" closer between the two spots that the pins rest in. doing this makes the shift lever throw shorter by about 1/3rd. it also helps if you have your gears spaced correctly.
              .. this is by no means "the great transmission fix" or the end to all of your problems, it is just another upgrade. this upgrade along with several others will help to make your old transmission feel more modern.
              Cody, did you use the shifter lever that i sent you also? i'm not sure what it came off of. i had two of them so it probably cam off of an early 80s XS650[pictures that i have seen on Ebay seem to confirm this also]. the lever i have sent you is a 1/2" shorter, this also helps to shorten the throw.
              if you feel bored one day, put the old set of levers back on your bike and compare them, there is quite a difference.
              ..i'm glad you like it.

Comment

I had a it of bad luck.

After the tranny rebuild I was riding down a city street at about 35 when the rear wheel locked. It released and I rolled it into a parking lot. Then it locked again.

Long story short...when the split the cases they had to remove the middle gear. When they put it back together the tech did not realize he had to fill the middle gear seperate from the motor oil. Most newer shaft driven bike ....the bevel box runs in motor oil.

I got about 27 miles on it and the bearing froze...ouch! Thank God I was rolling down the interstate at 85 mph.

It should be fixed in a few days as soon as the new bearings arrive.

I think I read on this site where someone changed their oil...they pulled both drain plugs (oil pan and middle gear) but didn't fill the middle gear back up...oops!

Comment

If you're not already too far down the path of repair, you might want to check with Andreas for a whole unit ready to bolt on.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

The 'tech' was a greenhorn, there's no excuses on that one, it's obvious the middle drive is seperate from the engine, if they hadn't drained the unit first, the flood of oil everywhere upon removal SHOULD have opened their eyes to that. Did they think the units' filler plug was for decoration? They didn't think is all. I'd be wary of letting greenhorns strip and disturb the drive units' bevel adjustments, and I'd sting for the cost of a whole unit fitted for free, no arguments!!

Comment

Cody,

If you have any problems, I have an extra.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

middle gear

Hey Cody, I just tore a perfectly good MD down just for the shaft the rest is yours if you' like, just come get it....let me know
                        MDRNF
                        79F.....Not Stock
                        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Thanks for the offers. This one's on the dealer so I'm not worrying about it.

Actually I went to the shop today and looked at the unit. Taper bearing on the output pinion failed.

Thanks anywho for the offers.

Comment

he's no tech, just an idiot.
                            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                            History
                            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                            79 yamaha xs1100f
                            03 honda cbr 600 f4
                            91 yamaha fzr 600
                            84 yamaha fj 1100
                            82 yamaha seca 750
                            87 yamaha fazer
                            86 yamaha maxim x
                            82 yamaha vision
                            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Lay off guys. It's a common mistake. Many shaft driven bikes...the intermediate gear runs in the same oil the transmission does.

Only on these old elevens(and a few others) is this middle gear separate.

The technician that "missed" this no idiot. He's just not well versed in working on 25 year old antique bikes. Actually the guy is pretty bright...a little green still but promising.

I read a post here recently where someone took there 11 in for an oil change. The mechanic pulled both bottom plugs draining the crankcase AND the middle gear. But he thought the middle gear ran in the same oil as the trans. You know the result.

In my case they made a mistake and they are going to make it right.

No harm intended ... no foul.

The only reason I point this out is so hopefully some one else doesn't make the same mistake. This mistake could cause serious injury. If that middle gear had locked up when I was rolling 80 mph down the turnpike I might not be typing this right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X