Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st gear issue

Hello,
    Been working on a 79 special and I seem to have a transmission problem or I just need to change my shift behavior.

When I hit the throttle in 1st it seems to slip in and out just after 3k rpm so I end up clutching longer while in first. Seems to grind a bit to engage on 3rd but, that may be me. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Time for some reading, Nemisus. You might want to start with the transmission repair section from here on the forum. Check it out, then come back for some follow-up. There's a good chance that somebody here has had the same problem you're having.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I had the same problem with mine....its the 1st gear that is slipping .....see the thread on second gear fix has good diagrams of the gears......I fixed mine with the engine in the bike by dropping the trans pan and removing the counter shaft and the gears on it.....Im new too but these guys here have heaps of info from experience that you can take as law with xs's. the gears at fault are the two right side gears on the counter shaft viewed as if it were in the bike....one has square dogs on it the other has slotted resesses. under cut the dogs square again with a diamond bit....the other gear i just flattened out the surface with a grinder to sharper the catch area for the dogs....I also moved the shim that goes between the two gears to the right side of the last gear to get them to engage better....this fix i have hammered the hell out of it up to 6k in first and not a single problem.....would recommend you dop the second gear dogs while its out to save another strip down even if your not having trouble with it yet...the whole job took me bout
      half a day and wasa the best thing i have ever done on the bike so far....but go to the tech tips forum and read everything you find on the second and first gear stuff www.xs11.com/tips/repair/repair37.shtml
      www.xs11.com/tips/repair/repair35.shtml
      www.xs11.com/tips/repair/2ndgearaddendum.shtml
      1982 XS1100R
      1982 XJ650
      1983 VT400
      1990 XVS Shadow
      1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

I just need to change my shift behavior.
        Ken and Gold Coast are right about your tranny problem.
        As for your shifty behaviour, I would suggest counselling with a therapist trained in Personality Disorders.
        (Oh, I'm sorry... I misread that. But you may want to check it out, anyway)
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

just a quick tip.....if you havent got the carbs syc'd and its running a fraction rough you may have the idle up to keep it from stalling....this in turn affects the throttle return and the revs don't drop low enough/fast enough wqhen you pull in the clutch to change gear....my was like a hammer falling every time i shifted gear until i got the thing running smooth.
          1982 XS1100R
          1982 XJ650
          1983 VT400
          1990 XVS Shadow
          1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Thanks for all the info.
            I was hopeing that it wasn't the gears but, looks like I'm gonna have to get deep in there and fix it while it's fixable. The rpms do take a bit to drop when I clutch so time to go over everything.....
            1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Comment

The extra work now will pay off in not being stuck having to do more strip downs later....keep us up to date...if your not sure on something ask the question...better that than to not ask and get something wrong....lol....you'll be ok just take you time...
              1982 XS1100R
              1982 XJ650
              1983 VT400
              1990 XVS Shadow
              1983 Z1100

Comment

Hi guys. Been a while since I wrote in.

This is a problem that has been occuring on my bike for a while. At least since I fixed some things and got the power up in it.

Actually my bikes been down for a bit due to a carb fuel leak. I just got it fixed today and went out on a ride. I really missed being out on my bike. May have been months since my last ride.

I can do some work on my bike on my own including pulling out the carbs like I did today and replaced the mains and the gaskets and other work. But transmission works scares the sh*t out of me and I think it may be beyond my abilities. Anyone in the South Florida area that could help ne out with fixing my first gear slip?

Thanx

-Jonathan
                Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Gee, I don't know, Jonathan. If you're not intimidated by tearing down a set of carbs, I don't think you'd have much problem with a transmission. There's lots of technical articles in the transmission repair section, and lots of people here who have done this who can guide you through it if you run into a snag.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

The tranny isn't that technical, just a PITA. I just did the 2nd gear fix and it's working just fine.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I got an offer from Gnepig that if I get it over to him, he can help me.

Taking the carbs apart is not to difficult. Not so many moving parts. Getting it out and back in, that is the PIA. Then making sure you don't have any kinked lines for the 2nd and 3rd time before you run them right.

I will talk further with Gnepig and perhaps get the bike up to him and we can work on it. Fortunatly my brother doesn't live to far from him so I can make it a visit to him as well as work on the bike.

Tearing down the tranny just feels to me like something I would rather do with some assistance.
                      Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Need to add this fix to upcoming TeXS Rally/Clinic. Make your plans now!!!

If you can dive into a set of carbs, you can do the tranny fix. Lotsa info here on how to do it.
                        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

If we're going to fix a tranny

Then it had better be seperated from the engine already. That's too much work, pulling and reinstalling that lump.

Comment

Awwww, C'mon John,

I received an XJ on a Friday PM, had the owner help me flip it over that pm. Tore in to it Saturday, and had it buttoned up and running by Sunday! But, yeah, doesn't leave much room for any Rally Riding!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I still can't quite picture this "flipping" thing.
                              Would love to see it actually done someday (without wrecking something).
                              Almost 600 lbs.!!
                              80 SG
                              81 SH in parts
                              99 ST1100
                              91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X