RIP

Comment

Is there any other way?.......
      1982 XS1100R
      1982 XJ650
      1983 VT400
      1990 XVS Shadow
      1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Well did some more tuning on these carbs and my latest mod is ......put airbox back on with K&N filter, baffles have least amount of back pressure i can get...last trip got 315kms/25litres fuel.....I think is tops for it now...and running like new....

just thought I'd update this for you guys...

Cheers!
        1982 XS1100R
        1982 XJ650
        1983 VT400
        1990 XVS Shadow
        1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Okay well i have finished playing with these carbs now and i have lowered the fuel level and raised the needle and danced around for no apparent reason etc, I have to say that these carbs are fantastic. I have run at least 2000kms on them now and the last 1000kms have given me a respectable 396kms per 25litres of fuel (to dry tank) I thing i can hang up the carbs tuning tools and say that this jobs finished. I am taking it down to the drag strip for test and tune next week, so i'll let you know how she was on the times and 0-160kms time. (i know it gets there waaaaaaaay before my friends Triumph's 955si). Makes you wonder why he always finds the reeeeeeeeally wind'y corners to ride on when we go out for a ride, he hates the fact that a 25year old bike blizt's him in a str8 line.....lol...
          1982 XS1100R
          1982 XJ650
          1983 VT400
          1990 XVS Shadow
          1983 Z1100

Comment

Hey GCG,

That's much better tuning:

396km/25ltr= 246miles/ 6.61gal=37.23mpg US

conversions:
            3.78ltr = 1 US gal. ##ltrs/3.78=## US gals.

1.609km/1US mile. ####kms/1.609= ### Miles.

Have to say though that several folks here report this kind of mileage as their normal amount, with plenty of power and throttle response!? Nice to know another model will fit and work well with our old vacuum springs, but probably only pertinent to the EURO and AUS crowd since we don't have any DIVERSION 900's here!! ENJOY!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yep TC, thats about right. Here in Aust. we dont have the bone yards you guys talk so much about and parts are almost impossible to find let alone a good set of carbs. So my main objective was to get these to work. And what I have found is these are much easier to find. However they are also later model so parts are more available and they also appear to produce more response down low and reach redline better. My original carbs werent that bad but what happened to start this off was me breaking a float bowl post off and the cost to have it fixed wasn't worth it. so I thought ....Well......I'll just get another set......wrong!.......lol....couldnt find any, so i pulled these out from under the bench and decided to proceed and from then on we all know the rest...lol..

Anyhow thanks for the feed back and big thanks for the conversion I can be happy with the economy now knowing it is comparible to the stock carbs since i didnt check the milage i got befroe i started with the old ones....

Cheers!
              Last edited by goldcoastguy001; 02-09-2007, 01:12 AM.
              1982 XS1100R
              1982 XJ650
              1983 VT400
              1990 XVS Shadow
              1983 Z1100

Comment

What is the latest update on this project?
                Did you get your drag strip times?
                Does the bike still run great?
                Were these carbs plug and play?
                Are you using the stock airbox or individual filters?

Finally, do you have any idea if the later carbs, i.e., 1989-1994 diversion have the same spacing/etc. as the 1988 carbs?

Ben
                1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                1982 XS650
                1980 XS1100g
                1979 XS1100sf
                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

He sold the bike on ebay.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Looks to me like there are different XJ900 motorcycles out there. Take a look at these pictures:

1994 XJ900

XJ900 #2

If you look at the pic in the first link, the carbs look very similar to XS11 carbs and they look like they would be a direct fit on the XS. But when you look at the second pic, you can see that the engine is swept forward and I can't even really see the carbs on it.

So it seems to me that the carbs one would be looking for would be the carbs off of the bike in the first image. The seller claims it is a 1994 XJ900 "Pre-Diversion". We can also see in the following link that the 1997 Diversion is different than the Diversion from the first picture.

1997 Diversion

Ben

Formerly:
                    1982 XS650
                    1980 XS1100g
                    1979 XS1100sf
                    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Hi Guys,

Not an expert, but I think the early bike was called XJ900F, Later one is XJ900S; also called the "Diversion"

Both bikes are shaft-drive four cylinder 900s, but I don't think that any parts are interchangeable.........

AlanB
                      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

I did some reading on this when it was more current and supposedly there was a big diff in the non US carbs.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Would be nice to know some more details about the carbs and carb differences between the different models.

Ben

Formerly:
                          1982 XS650
                          1980 XS1100g
                          1979 XS1100sf
                          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
                          X