Fork Brace for a Special ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Brace for a Special ?

Here's an eBay auction ( 110068797612 ) for an XS1100 ATK fork brace and the seller states it will fit a Special.

But, it doesn't look like it would to me.

I thought the fork braces for Specials needed shims to raise the cross piece above the mudguard/fender.

My ATK brace on a midnight has two thick shims either side and still only just misses the fender/mudguard.
    (click to zoooom)

I may be wrong but I hate to see people mis-describe auctions.
    Last edited by Lamric; 12-15-2006, 09:35 AM.
    Brian
    XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
    Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

I think you're right, Lamrick. The pictured item does not look like it will fit on a Special.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Ken is correct Lamric, the center cross piece is 'stepped' to clear fender on Standards, other-wise, looks like a nice brace in good cond. for XSesive Specials or MNS's.............
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Motoman:

I think Specials need a stepped/shimmed fork brace. (see my pics)
        So does Ken
        The pictured item does not look like it will fit on a Special.
        So...can we agree that the brace on sale would not fit a special ?
        (IMHO)

Maybe the confusion here is that ATK fork braces for both Standards and Specials need to be stepped/shimmed and the brace on eBay doesn't have them.
        Brian
        XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
        Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

The ATK brace on e-bay IS for the Special or MNS! It has the machined step/riser for these models. Plus the two fork mount pieces are slightly larger diameter as the Special fork diameter is slightly larger on mounting surface than the Standard...........been there, done that.......
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
          X