Installing oversize drain bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing oversize drain bolt

I know there are some threads about this but thought it might be better to have a thread of its own.

As mentioned in another thread, the drain bolt in my rear housing XJ1100 got stripped and, rather than use a helicoil I decided to go for the oversize solution.

For those that don't know, its a bolt that is actually a smidge (xj term) larger than the 14mm that was originally there and recuts threads as its tightened..

What I want to check on is, for those of you who have used them in the past, is there any thing special I should watch out for? I did get the piggyback model, a plug within a plug so the main plug will only have to go in once.

Thanks

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

Get a 14mm timesert. It is far superior to a helicoil and stronger...plus it allows you to use the OEM drain bolt.

Comment

main plug will only have to go in once
      I'd glue that puppy in with lock-tight.

mro

Comment

I have several good used xs1100 rear drives with or without drive shaft universal etc. If you just want to replace the damaged unit. These will be low mileage units 24,000-40,000 miles or less. Price includes shipping in continental USA $35.00 andreas

Comment

So, as the new bolt cuts new threads, where do those jagged little aluminum chips wind up?
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo
            So, as the new bolt cuts new threads, where do those jagged little aluminum chips wind up?
            What I plan on doing is puttiing a magnet down through the fill hole to catch them. Might not get every one of them but I don't think a couple will cause any problem.

Jack
            82 XJ100J Gone
            83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

New kind of MAGNET?

Don't think that will help much. Maybe try flushing the housing out with oil after you are done.
              wingnut
              81 SH (Daily Ride)
              81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
              81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
              82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
              81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

A magnet in the fill hole won't be in the same area as the drain plug. Besides, the housing is aluminum. I have recently had a final drive apart, and it is not just an open cavity inside there. Just drill it out for a thread repairing insert, and do it right, do it once. You'll be able to flush the chips out with some brake clean, or rig up some compressed air to blow into the fill hole, and that will blow the chips out while you're drilling it.

Comment

Well, all done. Gotta say, it was soooooo simple to do. Took all of 10 minutes. Used a piggyback 14mm OS bolt (bolt within a bolt) No need to ever remove the replacement.

Here are (to me) the + and - of the project.

Plus's
                  Lots of time saved
                  Cost $3.00 for bolt.
                  No need to disassemble anything.
                  My guess is it will last as long as any other repair would have.

Minus's

Doesn't look very professional. Large head hanging down from the housing. Gonna paint it black to at least blend it into the housing.

Gotta flush it tomorrow to try and flush out any debris. Not really a big deal though.
                  Jack
                  82 XJ100J Gone
                  83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Working...
                  X