Rear wheel spacer?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel spacer?????

I'm putting the tail end of my 79sf back together and looking in my clymer manual for torque specs when I noticed something odd. In the manual where they tell you how to remove the rear wheel, there is a note not to lose the spacer. There is an arrow pointing to the end of the axle where the torque plate and caliper are. The picture shows something there that looks like an aluminum spacer. The only things taking up space on mine are the plate and caliper bracket. I'm sure there was nothing else there when I took it apart, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something????
    Ron Evans
    79 xs11sf
    99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

spaced????

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

when in doubt, check the yama parts page
    look at item #23 3H3-25377-00-00 COLLAR, SHAFT

mro

Comment

look at item #23 3H3-25377-00-00 COLLAR, SHAFT
      (should read: "Look for item....)
      when removing wheels at work, I always place spacers and such back on the axles so I don't misplace them. Too many times I've had the bike almost back together, and then see some odd little spacer thing lying on the floor
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Hmmmm, makes me wonder.

Heres one for ya.
        I have owned my 79 SF since 1981. I am the second owner and the PO did not remove the rear wheel at all when he owned it. The first time I removed the rear for tires and some clean up there was no spacer in the mix at all. My Clymer manual showed it so I just made one out of a galvanized steel washer. Still running it today with no problems.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

As I recall.......

Spacer is pretty substantial.
          About 1/4 inch thick, chromed and has a "shoulder".

Would think it would make a difference being there or not, especially when torqueing the axle and alignment of brake.

mro

Comment

I think mine was lost by a PO, was never there as long as i've had it. If it wasn't for the pic in the manual catching my eye i'd be clueless. I guess I'll make one or maybe I have something from the xs750 I parted out a few years ago. Anyhow, thanx to all, now at least I'm sure there is supposed to be a spacer there.
            Ron Evans
            79 xs11sf

Comment

Dunno about the XS750 but the spacer off an 850 is an exact match, also, you can still buy these, Speed & Sport have them at $13.26.
              Brian
              XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
              Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

When I took my rear wheel off I purposely looked for the spacer because of Clymer's warning. I didn't find it, but later I heard a thud and there it was on the ground. It had been stuck in the wheel hub. Yours may just be stuck in the wheel hub grease. and didn't fall out. If your spacer wasn't there all along you probably would have noticed while riding long before now.

Oh, and be sure to replace the cotter pin.
                Last edited by malber; 12-15-2006, 07:14 AM.
                1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I am pretty sure I have one of those. Will check when I get home tonight after work. Send me a PM if you want it. andreas

Comment

I put mine on the wrong side of the caliper bracket. I think it may be needed cause it sure did make alot of noise when I took the first test ride. I should have realized when putting it back together that things weren't quite lining up right. BUT I was to excited to get it on the road. Sorry, Just felt like sharing my spacer story.
                    "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
                    "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
                    79 XS1100 modified standard
                    Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
                    pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
                    straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
                    new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
                    Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
                    Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
                    owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Wait just a minute, The manual shows the spacer as being outside of the caliper bracket and torque plate near the swingarm. If the spacer is actually between the wheel and the caliper bracket then I have it.
                      Ron Evans
                      79 xs11sf

Comment

Working...
                      X