No announcement yet.

Turbocharging....Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 psi ---cool-- my in law said he was guessing a little low just to keep it safe and keep it lasting awhile.
    I got a new clutch and springs anyway my plates were worn down to the limts.
    And I am running newly rebuilt but stock internals.
    I even forked out the $$$ for new 2nd gear parts because I did the fix about 5 years ago and with this much more power I dont trust it.
    81SH turbo project
    80SG parts bike
    78 XS750 blown-up
    78 XS750 beater
    98 Ford ZX2 150hp 15.5@91
    Shut-up and run whatcha brung

Comment

clutch

If you haven't seem the extra plate mod, check out below, part two

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9481

mro

Comment

My clutch has all new steal and friction plates do you think I will still need to add the extra plate because its going to be turboed????
        81SH turbo project
        80SG parts bike
        78 XS750 blown-up
        78 XS750 beater
        98 Ford ZX2 150hp 15.5@91
        Shut-up and run whatcha brung

Comment

I seem to remember that some turboed engines have a dual diaphram distibutor, to retard the ignition as boost increased. That saved the pistons from meltdown.

Steve
          80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
          73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
          62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
          Norton Electra - future restore
          CZ 400 MX'er
          68 Ducati Scrambler
          RC Planes and Helis

Comment

My clutch has all new steal and friction plates do you think I will still need to add the extra plate because its going to be turboed????
            When you romp on it 4th you'll find out.

mro
            btw
            supposed to be very good
            http://www.barnettclutches.com/produ...clutch_cc=1100

Comment

Differences in turbo and supercharger are simple.....turbos use (+)pressure to force feed the carb or throttle body with air conventional method using the exhaust to drive the turbine therefore you get the lagg effects of the exhaust needing to speed up the turbine for it to work efficiently....smaller turbos with different pitch turbine fins can lessen lagg the effect depending on the engine it is used on.....superchargers use (-)pressure to suck the air thru the carb conventional method by way of pulley and belt from the crank....in some cases gear drives are adopted off assy's different ratios can be used to under/over drive the supercharger to obtain best results for the engine it is installed on.....the bentley noted before had a small air compressor mounted the front just behind the left front of the radiator that egaged when the gas pedal was pushed to the floor but this was used to force feed the carb so it resembled in function more like a turbo than a supercharger...but it was referred to as a supercharger.....

I recommend trying a had crafted manifold and a "Wipple 2:71" supercharger belt driven off pulley mounted on a modified timing plate on the left side....if i ever get the time that was my idea
              anyway.....cheers.....whatever you do/try i'll be interested to know how it go's both the wins and losses of the exercise...
              1982 XS1100R
              1982 XJ650
              1983 VT400
              1990 XVS Shadow
              1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Thanks all for the good info. I will do more research, and decide what I'm going to do with this turbocharger....right now, I am not really knowing. I've been kind of throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. I may try to make the appropriate manifolds and fit it to my XS, I may gear it up and belt drive it from the XS or, I may fit it to an old Kaw 400 I've got lying around (it could use some real go and it has more space to mount said turbo than my XS. anyway, thank you all for the info...again. I'll keep the world advised as to what I end up doing with it.
                I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

kind of throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks.
                  I find the brackets on the nissan turbo's help heaps when trying to get them to stick to the wall....lol.....

good luck with it all keep us informed..

Cheers!
                  1982 XS1100R
                  1982 XJ650
                  1983 VT400
                  1990 XVS Shadow
                  1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Working...
                  X