Valve clearance discrepancies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve clearance discrepancies

Okay, I was checking out my clearances and looking at the french tables that John refered me to here .

The problem is that the clymer says
    intake: 0.16-0.20mm and exhaust: 0.21-.024mm

and the table says
    intake: 0.11-0.15mm and exhaust: 0.21-0.25mm

Which source is correct???
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

What year is your top end? Both valve gaps are correct, depending on the year of your bike. The earlier XSes had the wider intake setting.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Stupid clymers has one blanket set of clearances. So the wider gaps are for the 70's heads?
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Yeah, '78 and '79, I believe. The valves were different on the earlier bikes than o te later ones. Since your signature indicates you have an '81, and I assume you have the stock top end, go with the tighter settings.

Patrick
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

In the 80-81 supplement section of my Clymer's, it reads "Intake valve clearance has been decreased from the 1979 specification of 0.16-0.20mm to 0.11-0.15mm. This cuts down on engine noise, but is recommended only on 1980 and later models".
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
          X