Mixture settings, Guru required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixture settings, Guru required.

The Ressurection of the Wildebeast is nearly complete. Just finishing the final touches and tuning before taking out for the FIRST ride.

Currently, It's running 4 to one exhausts and pod filters. I need to rejet some but I am working from the bottom of the range and planning on tuning my way to WOT.

Carbs are synced and colourtuned.

Current setup is everything in the carbs is stock for a 78 E except for the pilot jets which are one size up.

When colourtuning I only end up with the mixture screws out 1 turn each.

Would this be classed as normal for this setup?

Next step would be raise the needles 1 or 2? notches???

Mains recommendations would also be appreciated(Damn things are hard to get here in Australia but I'm still looking) Currently 137.5.

Suggestions and comments welcomed.
    1981 XJ550RH
    1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
    1978 XS1100F X Streem
    1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
    Jet/Mod Calculator
    Speed/Gearing Calculator

Similar things....

There are so many variables, the best way is read the plugs. A setup like that would usually mean you're running rich so moving the needle to close sooner and even lowering the floats some would help. If that isn't the problem and you're running lean the opposite is true and if that doesn't solve the issues, then rejetting is in order. Not GURU yet, but had similar experiences. Doing a search here helps a lot too.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I would try 142.5 and 145's. Those would probably get you very close to where you need to be. Raising the needles will only change when the main circuit comes into play. It won't make it any richer or leaner.
      Maybe somebody here could buy them here, where they are plentiful, and inexpensive, and ship them to you?!

Comment

Thanks Guys, Still have some options for jets that I have to follow up but if not I will definately try and get a set or two from over there.

I was under the impression that mains didn't really come into play till 3/4 throttle. Am I incorrect in this assumption?. This assumption comes from that diagram floating around that shows which jet comes into play at different throttle openings.

Cheers
        HG
        1981 XJ550RH
        1978 XS1100F X Streem
        Jet/Mod Calculator
        Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

HG
          i have a kerker 4 into one ..drilled airbox with K&N filter ..tried several mains ..142.5 worked best ...BTW to tune a carburetor you should start with the main circuit and work down to idle circuit...just my weak @$$ input after 30+ years of working on all types of carbs.......MH

Comment

Hey Goon,

Motorhead and others are correct in that you FIRST tune the MAINS to ensure proper throttle response for WOT and ability to get to REDLINE with good plugs not getting carboned up, and then you tune the idle circuit. The Pilots contribute from idle up thru the transition into the mains thru a logarythmic degression as the vacuum pressure decreases to the pilot circuit and increases into the vacuum diaphragms and mains. The mains start contributing around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle and up!

So...does sound like you will want to bump up your mains a few sizes, your pilots are probably now correct, they are larger so it doesn't take as many turns out to richen it up vs. the smaller pilots. Some folks just increased the mains, and kept the smaller pilots and just turned the screws out a few more turns and got a similar affect.

One Xsive posted that if you have to turn your pilot screws out more than 2 turns that you have too small jets and need to go up a size!? My thoughts were why do we have so many turns adjustability in the pilot screws for more than just 2 turns out if we weren't supposed to use them!
            T.C.

PS, I'll check on postage to OZ for a few ounces packages worth of main jets, and let you know, so if you need someone here, vs. UK to get some and send them to you!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

This site is another great ressource for tuning.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Well, finally managed to get back into the site after being locked out for a while.

Still searching for larger main jets.

Basically the bike runs great right through the rev range but it is definately running too lean. Exhaust is a light grey colour and it pops a fair bit when getting off the throttle.

Only other problem I have is starting. Once the engine has been run once, it will start first press of the button every time. But in the morning I end up squirting a bit of gas on the pods as it will wind but won't fire. Once it has fired it will idle perfectly and smoothly on half choke till it warms up.

Also noticed a bit of pinging while riding yesterday in 40 deg celcius temps so may have to lcheck ignition timing a little. Would slightly off timing hinder the cold starts??

Just looking for ideas before I start tinkering again.
                1981 XJ550RH
                1978 XS1100F X Streem
                Jet/Mod Calculator
                Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

I have a quite a few jets let me know what size you need if i got the sizes you want you can have them for the cost of postage....Im in Queensland.
                  1982 XS1100R
                  1982 XJ650
                  1983 VT400
                  1990 XVS Shadow
                  1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

That sounds like a top offer.

Am looking for a set of 142.5 and 145's to work out which set works best.

If ya got them then I'm only too happy to send you dollars

There is a place up in Townsville that was my next point of call but if someone has spares then all the better.

Not many dealers stock large sizes though.
                    1981 XJ550RH
                    1978 XS1100F X Streem
                    Jet/Mod Calculator
                    Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

sorry didn t read all of your last post...lol.....timing too far advanced would make starting cold hard but it would have to be quite a bit, this could explain your pinging.....it may also be running a bit hotter leaning the plug out as well...get your timing set and check the plugs again.....on a side note if you have a prob with your vacuum advance canister i got onto a business here that recos them for bout' $70(including postage) better than the $400 yamaha tries to steal off you....lol

Cheers -nice to see someone else on here thats actually in my country....lol
                      1982 XS1100R
                      1982 XJ650
                      1983 VT400
                      1990 XVS Shadow
                      1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

You might try switching the petcocks to prime and let them top off the bowls before trying to start it. I know that the starter jets suck from the bottom of the bowls, but hey, it works on one of my standards if it has sat a while without running.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids
                          You might try switching the petcocks to prime and let them top off the bowls before trying to start it. I know that the starter jets suck from the bottom of the bowls, but hey, it works on one of my standards if it has sat a while without running.
                          Yep, Tried that yesterday. And rode it the night before. Definitely got plenty of fuel in the bowls it just doesn't want to fire. Thought maybe too lean but then the choke doesn't make any difference either.

Has got me confounded.
                          1981 XJ550RH
                          1978 XS1100F X Streem
                          Jet/Mod Calculator
                          Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Float height?

Lean?....try 25mm or Down-under

hard start when cold............
                            taken that carbs are clean, have you replaced the float bowl gaskets?? Some aftermarket gaskets obstruct an orifice on carb/bowl and will make starting difficult.

mro

Comment

No, haven't changed the gaskets. They are still in good condition. I do know of the difference relating to aftermarket ones but mine look ok.

Strange thing is, I had these carbs on another bike (airbox, not pods) and the bike ran and started fine.

Leads me to think along timing and/or too lean with the pods on this bike..

I think I'm going to have to get the rejetting done before I tinker too much more.
                              1981 XJ550RH
                              1978 XS1100F X Streem
                              Jet/Mod Calculator
                              Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Working...
                              X