New Engine for an old hot rod xs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Engine for an old hot rod xs1100

Fellas I think that my rings might be bad, and I'm sure the guides or the seals are bad. I dont have much time on my hands being a Marine. So I was wondering where a guy might get a good engine, or even a rebuilt one. I'm not too bad with a wrench, and I'm sure I could drop a new engine in within a day. My time is the biggest problem, I just dont have any. Way too much training going on for the next deployment, know what I mean?? I have looked on e-bay, but I dont really trust it. I would rather deal with a xs man on the side. Any in put fellas?? Thanks for all the help.

Semper Fi.

Thank-you for your service to our country.
    I would do a Google search to find a motorcycle salvage yard near your area to save on shipping cost and buy a complete low mileage engine. Make sure you get a guarantee of some sort at least 30 days. If you could hear it run or with compression test? The XS11 engine is very heavy so the shipping is likely to be considerable.
    Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Hey Danno,

IF you'll edit your profile and include your location, city state, you might get surprised by some other Xsives that might be in your area?? Also, you have an option to look for engines near your locale when searching Ebay!

Other folks also look and find bikes on Craigslist!?

If you have some time, you might post a synopsis of your bike, what you've done to it, any diagnostics, etc.? It might not be as bad as you think, and again, you might find an Xsive in your area that could lend a hand in working on it!

As has been posted recently, these engine are pretty tough, and the valve guides rarely go bad. The valve seals, yes! The rings, yeah, but if sitting a long time, sometimes it just needs to be run for a while to reseat the rings!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I don't know where you're located, but I'm in the Los Angeles area, I've got a '79 Standard lying here with a motor in it, it's sat for a looooong time, about 10 years from what I can figure, but I filled it with tranny fluid and let it sit a couple days, and it spun over freely, funny thing is, when a friend of mine was telling a friend of his about it, he said he sold the bike to the guy I got it from, back in 81, he knew the guy's name I got it from, and his address, small world, he said that when he sold it, it ran good, but jumped out of 2nd. Anyway, guy I got it from laid it down in 90 and quit riding it, I never asked him if he fixed 2nd. Bike shows 37,000 miles. I was going to sell it, but hell, if you're local, want to come pick the motor out of the frame, you're welcome to see if it'll run for you.
        Randy

Price List:

Taking it apart: Free
        Putting it back together: Cheap
        Putting it back together RIGHT: 'spensive
        Having actually work when it's done: Priceless

Comment

Working...
        X