Factory finish on carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory finish on carbs

Does anybody how to get the factory finish look back on to a set of carbs. I cleaned a set of carbs in an ultrasonis cleaner and it removed the factory finish,now it is just bare aluminum casting and will form a white oxide film overnight. I think the goldish colored coating from the factory is called kris-kote or something like that. Is kris-kote something that can be done at my shop,with a chemical bath or is it more complicated than that and has to be sent to a speciality shop to do this. Let know whatever knowledge you have about this product. I would like to be able to refinish them myself. I have several more sets to be cleaned and it would be nice to have them looking factory new to get best resale value. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!
    Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

I would stay away from anything that would require dipping the carbs as that would probably plug up any number of those fine orifices and passages you work so hard to keep clear. How about a good quality spray clearcoat?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I think its called Anodizing also

I think, kris-kote is the same as anodizing? It only adds a finish less than .001 of an inch thick but controlls corosion.
      Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Dan,
        The gold color is from old fuel. The carbs were all silver, I think painted or a clear coat over the aluminum. Anodizing is a very good way of doing the coat. I know from experience that you can use a brush, and just coat the outside of the carb bodies. You should be able to get clear, gold, and black easily.
        I would say go ahead and do it.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Well.....

Some carbs have a yellowish green tint on the outside of the bodies, ex: Rochester Quadrajet and most Rochester carbs, others have an all aluminum outside look ex: Carter AFB. The material used in construction is aluminum on both brands. So, I'm pretty sure it's a coating of some sort. Google this: Cardo carburetors Cardone Los Angeles. As I remember the family, they were pretty nice and open about information. My guess is that they may just tell you.
          80G Mini-bagger
          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Summit racing or Jegs sells paint to duplicate factory finish on carbs
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

This Tech tip I was reading on SlicksChoppers.com says to use Xtreme Metal finish to protect polished or non coated aluminium.

Good Luck
              Last edited by audijunky; 12-06-2006, 12:40 PM.
              "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
              "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
              79 XS1100 modified standard
              Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
              pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
              straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
              new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
              Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
              Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
              owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Eastwood also has a refurbisher spray coating for the carbs www.eastwood.com
                The part number is: Bronze 10179Z, silver 10187Z. I have used their Clear Coat for bare metal DIAMOND CLEAR GLOSS #10200Z, good for 300 Degree F. PICK COLOR AND DO IT.
                Dell82
                Houston, TX
                82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
                SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
                SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
                SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

glass beading makes them look great. It has been standard practice on used aluminum manifolds for years.

I had a set of carbs that somebody had painted "pink". I duct taped the inlet and outlets. I did remove the choke lever. I also covered the fuel and vent inlets and blasted away.

They turned out looking great (pink be gone). Even the steel springs and lever looked like new. They are still in use without a hitch.

I used my Harbor Frieght $200 blasting cabinets and meduim glass beads.
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                  X