Jet Sizes, Crankcase Breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodstoc
    . The line on the 79 ran to the front (carb side) of the stock air box.
    I found a hole on the bottom of the airbox but not on the front.
    Robert
    79 SF

Comment

Some people remove the breather from the airbox and route it elsewhere so it won't muck up the air filter. Main thing, make sure you have some kind of breather hose on the engine, doesn't matter a whole lot where you route it.
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Mike:

The last thread you posted mentioned that you were in the process of installing the 50 pilot jets along with the 120 main jets to solve your lean problem. What happened? Did it work or are you stuck on the side of the road somewhere? I ordered the 120's and the cones from Cycle Recycle but they did'nt appear to have pilot jets. I probably will pick them up locally. Let me know how it worked out as we will probably have the same set up. Thanks again to you and all of the others who replied to my questions regarding crankcase ventilation and jets. Very helpful.

maxim4rob

Comment

Different Jet Models??

Well, Gary,

You really know how to burst a guy's bubble. After seeing your pictorial on the 5 different types of Mikuni main jets, it got me wondering if I ordered the right ones for my carbs!?!?! The N100/604 that you showed doesn't show the threads very well. You also stated, and so does DK, that they are for RS and HS carbs?? Are our carbs Mikuni RS/HS style-models?? Doh, after reviewing the Clymers, it says that they are "BS" models, .....
          That Figures!!!

The M10/14 looks closer to what I remember my OEM's looking like. They didn't have any of "THAT" model available on DK's site, just the N100/604's.......so, have I just wasted $16.00??

Looks like it, dayam!!!
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

crankcase breather

My crankcase breather is hooked up as normal from engine to top front of airbox. What I wondering is what is the square plug with a hole in the bottom of the airbox for?
            Robert
            79 SF

Comment

TC, you ordered the right type (large round), no sweat. There are no hex type jets in XS/XJ carbs.

Robert, 'scuse me, I thought somebody had their cc breather plugged off

Rob, I couldn't find big XJ pilots locally, I went to a shop that had a book of jets with pictures so I could be sure I was ordering the right ones (no holes).

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hart

Robert, 'scuse me, I thought somebody had their cc breather plugged off

No worries. Originally I thought that plug I asked about was where the crankcase breather hose went, thus I thought mine wasn't hooked up.
                Robert
                79 SF

Comment

TC,

Yep you got the right ones 'large round' but the 'small round' will aslo fit, my dealer had the small round and not the large and they fit and work fine. We do have BS34 carbs (BS34II) on 80+, they are not listed because they are a street carb and as such the factory is not suppose to encourage you swap jets due to emmissions regulations. Also the BS models are not current and they do not list non-current models. So the listings are for 'aftermarket' or 'race' carbs only.
                  Gary Granger
                  Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                  2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

2 Sets of Jets now!

Well, Mike and Gary,

I should have waited to see your replies, but I was worried about being able to get a set for Godzilla before the NC rally, and thinking that the larger round jets wouldn't work, I stopped by my local high performance motorcycle machine shop and chatted with them a bit, the owner (Larry McBride...used to have the record for the fastest street-rod/?top fuel type racing MC!) said that the BS carbs were a different type than the RS/HS, and he had lots of jets in many sizes, and so I got a set of 4-117.5 from him for $12.00, pretty cheap really, but now, it looks like if the DK ones are also right/will fit, that I'll now have an extra set of 117.5 jets!!!!!!!!

Then, again, if the 117's still seem to be lean similar to Mike's findings, then maybe I can trade them for larger ones at that shop??

Hey Ken Krieger, you want a set of jets????.....cheap!
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC, if you found a local guy with a supply, then trading back with him is the way to go!

Comment

Hey T.C. no problem, yeah,always take parts man, especially cheap, lol. Bring em with you on the rally. I'll bring the pesatas.
                        Later on.
                        Ken Krieger
                        Chesterfield, Va.
                        81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
                        82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
                        82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
                        79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
                        1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
                        85 XJ700 Maxim
                        06 VMax - Black Max
                        85 650 Nighthawk

Comment