• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Seat

Will a 1980 Special seat fit a 79?
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Yes, but...

I have done it to see how it fits. The sides of the 80 seat are lower than the sides of the 79 seat, and they hit on the top, rear corner of the side cover. Also the 80 seat is open in the back to accept the 80 tail light and hand rail. If you would to install the hand rail, and tail light for an 80 Special, PM me, I have all the parts.

Comment

I have a Special seat on my 78 frame, the back side of the seat does cover the side cover and you can't get it off unless you remove the seat itself.
      I like the low spot on the special seat as my legs are not near as long as both my sons, so what I did is peal up the seat cover by just pulling it off the pointed tabs under the seat frame, Draw a line across the steel so that the side covers clear, use a dremel tool to cut new tabs a little higher on the pan and reattach it to the cover. I wasn't sure if the seat would be weakend so I welded a small piece of flat steel to support the area that I cut.
      I also modified the back fiberglass piece to fit the back of the seat to cover the electronics module.
      I like it.
      Just my thoughts
      Ed
      Last edited by EZMoney; 12-01-2006, 02:11 PM.
      Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
      XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

Working...
      X