How do you get the driveshaft out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get the driveshaft out?

Does the front yoke pull off of the shaft? I figured before I pull hard I'd do the smart thing and ask.
    Ron Evans
    79 xs11sf
    99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

Hey Rev-

There is a slip ring on the splines at the u-joint end of the driveshaft. All you have to do is pull and it should release from the yoke without too much effort. Getting it back in is another thing though...You will have to pull the dust boot back away from the u-joint and hold the yoke in place with your fingers (easier said than done!) with one hand while you line up the shaft in the tube with the other. Once the splines mesh, it's just a matter of pushing against the driveshaft until you feel that slip ring click into its groove in the yoke of the u-joint. REMEMBER TO GREASE THE SPLINES!!
    Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
    '80 XS1100SG (mine)
    '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

Ah Ha, like c.v. joints on cars. And yes, Iwill grease the splines, that's how this adventure started.
      Thanx!
      Ron Evans
      79 xs11sf
      99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

Comment

If you read my thread on the final drive transplant it explains.

I used a slide hamer and it popped right ut. That's the recommended tool in the srvice manual.

I did re-install the c-clip. Mainly because of the mod I made wouldn't allow it. But it's really not needed. The spring in the drive coupler prevents the shaf from ever sliding out of the yoke.

Comment

Working...
        X