Who knows middle drives???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows middle drives???

I,ve been looking for a driveline noise in my 79sf. I saw something in the tech section about a few middle drive output shaft bearing being dry. I decided that my driveshaft and swingarm bearings couls use lubed anyway so I removed the swingarm assy. If I grab the flange that the driveshaft bolts to and wiggle it side to side, there is perceptible movement. I'm curious if this warrants tearing the middle drive down or if this is normal. Any help or opinions are appreciated.
    Ron Evans
    79 xs11sf
    99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

Hey Ron,

Sounds like the final bearings are shot, that shaft shouldn't wiggle sideways at all!! IIRC, there's a tech tip that shows an exploded view of the middle drive, and what's involved in replacing the bearings, not an easy task!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm an experience ase master auto tech by trade and have bearing pullers and presses. The one thing I was wondering is if the bearing preload is set by shims on the cover. If so, is it safe to reuse the existing shims? Or is clearance adjusted another way?
      Ron Evans
      79 xs11sf

Comment

Sounds like it might be easier to just buy a new(sed) one?? Here's one off of an XJ if you are intersted... same part # Ebay Item 5637267823. At 50 bucks, it seems a little steep. You might PM Andreaswise and see if he has one.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

It's easy to strip, any of 3 bearings they're easy to replace, but all that backlash adjustment garbage seems a hassle, is it even necassary? The experts are saying re-using the same shims will cover it. Hope they're right.

Comment

FWIW I've been into the middle gearbox a few times.
            The backlash is set by shims, if you are using the original gears in the case the old shims will be a good place to start. A bit of backlash is better than none.
            I spent an hour or so blueing and setting my gears when I built mine up.
            I've cut shims from beer cans.

There is a supplemental manual for the middle gearbox.
            Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Yes I have several good used middle gear drives. Price includes shipping in continental USA by us priority mail $35.00 andreas

Comment

Well I took it apart and all of the bearings are in decent shape. The gears on the other hand look a bit worn to me so I think a 35.00 new(sed) one is likely.
                Ron Evans
                79 xs11sf

Comment

Rev79xs11

You have PM

Neil
                  Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X