Converting vacuum petcocks to ON-OFF-RES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting vacuum petcocks to ON-OFF-RES

Here is a link to the Yamaha Triples forum about "converting" the vacuum petcocks to ON-OFF-RES petcocks. Has anyone tried this or know if it will work on the 1100 Standard vacuum petcocks?

I apologize if this has been discussed already.

thx

I will be rebuilding my petcocks as soon s the PNM kits arrive. I give this a try and let you know if it works. I hate not being able to turn off the gas flow.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I read that and it's confusing alright. I think he means to swap the "armature" from the left side and put it in the right side petcock. Then swap the right side "armature" and put it in the left side petcock? I may try that as I have two untrustworthy XS11 petcocks. I also have one leaky aftermarket piece of junk petcock.
      I should have bought two Pingles but I also should have more money to spend on the fun stuff.
      Cheers, 50gary

Comment

I came up with something a while back that may be similar check it out
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

81xsproject, I took your link to the older post and I don't have that type of petcock. Mine only has one fuel outlet on each petcock and your's has two. My bike is a 1978e looks like you have a 1981 ? I may try to figure is out. A reliable fuel system has been one of the biggest stumbling blocks of this old bike.
          Cheers, 50gary

Comment

50gary,
            I put the P&M rebuild kits in my '79F, and they have been working well. That was about 16 months, and 25K miles ago!!
            If the petcocks are not badly oxidized, the kit will work. They were $20 each when I bought them, and the carb kits were $12.
            The carb kit wasn't bad, but the gasket had to be "fixed" to fit properly. My goal was the new needle and seat that came in the kit, and they have also worked well.
            Just my experience...
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Looks like this *SHOULD* work fine - according to the Yamaha parts fische, the XS1100E/F/G/H and the XS750D/2D/E/F use the same gaskets and seals for their respective petcocks. Of course, there is no Yamaha listing for the petcock diaphram.

Originally posted by 50gary
              I read that and it's confusing alright. I think he means to swap the "armature" from the left side and put it in the right side petcock. Then swap the right side "armature" and put it in the left side petcock? I may try that as I have two untrustworthy XS11 petcocks. I also have one leaky aftermarket piece of junk petcock.
              I should have bought two Pingles but I also should have more money to spend on the fun stuff.
              Cheers, 50gary
              That is also the way I read - swap both the petcock lever and lever plate from right to left and vise versa; also remove the diaphram spring and replace with 5/16 tubing.

Originally posted by Succubus
              I will be rebuilding my petcocks as soon s the PNM kits arrive. I give this a try and let you know if it works. I hate not being able to turn off the gas flow.

Patrick
              That is exactly what I will be doing as well - rebuild kit from PNM, swap levers, eliminate and plug vacuum connections , and have ON-OFF-RES petcocks!

Comment

Update:
                Again, using the Yamaha parts fische, confirmed the 78 XS650E also uses the same gaskets, etc. for the petcock as the XS1100E/F/G/H.
                Might be able to pick up the petcock rebuild kit from MikesXS (although I do not see them listed for this year on his web site) cheaper than PartsNMore.

Comment

Working...
                X