Jumping tach needle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping tach needle

This might be a silly question, since we are talking about a 27-year-old tachometer that sat unused for 15 years or more, but the needle on my tachometer pretty much jumps all over the place when I am riding - yes, riding - my 79XS F. It is practically useless for its designed purpose. I don't really care much about this tach, since I have a replacement I can put on, but I wondered if this could be a symptom of something else I should be looking for. All my other tachs are cable driven, so I don't know what to make of the jumping needle on this tach.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Clean connections

Try cleaning all of the connections from the alternator. The tack pickis up its signal from there. That has worked for some folks.
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

My understanding is that the tach gets its signal from the alternator. Not quite sure how. One of the Guru's can help you with the wht. When the regulator/rectifier started to go bad on y 78E the tach needle jumped all over the place, like you described. Soon after that the reg/rec went out. When I replaced it with one from Geezer it worked much better. Just one of the side effects I guess.
      78E ... Gone but not forgotten
      2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Oh by the way. It was first recomended that I try cleaning all the connections that have to do with the charging system first. In my case it did not help. But it could be a start for you
        78E ... Gone but not forgotten
        2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

I'd turn on a turn signal and the tach needle would blink, too!. Bad connections all over... fuse box, too... but a different regulator made the biggest difference.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
          X