front wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front wheel bearings

I don't see anything in the repair, maintenance sections about removal/replacing front wheel bearings. Ofcourse the Clymers manual just says TAP OUT WITH A SOFT BRASS DRIFT. Duh? Yeah I know that much but where do you start after seals are out?
    Any help out there? Beuhler? Beuler?
    If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
    80G The Big unit
    72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
    84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
    79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

"A real pain in the brass"

Brass drift... yeah, right!
    Pry the seals out nicely, as they can be reused.
    Stick a good STEEL drift, or punch, down the middle of the top bearing. Whack it sideways a little. This is to displace the tubular collar between the bearings to the side a little.
    Stick the punch down the hole till you can hit the inner lip of the lower bearing. Swing the hammer like Thor! Ok... try to be nice, first.
    If you're lucky, the bearing will soon pop out. Obviously, it can't be reused.
    Flip the wheel over and tap out the remaining bearing.
    (If the bearings are rusted in place and fall apart leaving the outer race still in the wheel, hope you have a die grinder, a tungston carbide grinding bit, and about 45 minutes of free time!)
    Before you put the new bearings in, this is important!
    Set the new bearings on the floor. Stand the "inner collar" on top of the new bearing that you'll be pressing in last. (This is called a reminder)
    There's nothing worse after putting in new wheel bearings... than to see the collar sitting on the floor where you've forgotten it!

Oh yeah... you can put the new bearings in the freezer for about ten minutes to shrink them so they'll press in a little easier.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

OK, the r/h sidebearing is the one to knock out first because the wheels' inner spacer tube is looser on that side, belt the bearing out with a thin steel rod or similar held hard against the inside of the bearings inner race. Tap in the new bearings lightly with a big socket or suchlike, only tap the outer races, not the inner race. Tap the bearings all the way in. P.S if the new bearings are sealed, peel off one seal and check for plenty of grease inside, because some bearing manufacturers skimp on grease, I've seen new sealed bearings with only the tiniest pitiful smear of grease inside them.
      Last edited by pggg; 11-25-2006, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Hey Prom,

We DO have a fine Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement Tech Tip, but we don't have one for the front wheel!

WORK ON THAT, will ya!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm honored!

Wow! A Moderator, a Guru and an Administrator replying to my post. Thanks for the input, especially the REMINDER! Man, how many times have I missed that boat! Well I was hoping that there was a way to get the bearings out to grease them but I guess that's not an option. Actually the only problem is the seal on the left hand side is dented a bit and makes light contact with the balls. Can I just peel off that seal and leave the bearing in place? Then I could check for grease and add some if need be.
          80G The Big unit
          84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"

Comment

I was hoping that there was a way to get the bearings out to grease them
            I don't know how much you ride a year, but these bearing should probably outlast you.

problem is the seal on the left hand side is dented a bit and makes light contact with the balls
            I'd leave it in, as it retains the grease in the bearing. It's only a plastic disk, I wouldn't worry about it rubbing or anything.
            Save the old bearings. Shave them down a bit on a bench grinder so they're a little bit smaller than the ones they replaced. You can use these old bearings as "Drivers" to help press new ones in, later. (grinding them down ensures that they won't get stuck in the wheel hub)

Comment

We DO have a fine Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement Tech Tip, but we don't have one for the front wheel!
              T.C., you've got to be kidding me!
              I just read through GARY"S bearing replacement tips. If you think that I'm gonna write up something and have it placed underneath his, well.... I don't need to humiliate myself that way.
              A masterful piece of technical writing. Can easily be applied to front bearings, as well.
              What I will do, though, (next time I have a wheel bearing that falls apart), is to document how to grind out the outer race from the wheel hub. (I will be sure to include pics of appropriate facial expressions, and a finely detailed list of "Mechanic Words" to use while doing it)
              Santa may buy "himself" a digital camera for Christmas this year.

Comment

I wonder if those "mechanic words" are in any way related to "carpenter words"
                80G The Big unit
                84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"

Comment

Originally posted by chopwatchagot
                  I wonder if those "mechanic words" are in any way related to "carpenter words"
                  They are, but the "mechanic" ones are more easily wrenched out of ones mouth. Mechs' tend to get torqued quicker, ratcheting their frustrations higher. Sometimes a problem really sockets to us, and we feel boxed end! We get all jacked up, and eventually get greased on screwdrivers!

Whereas Carpenters are more level headed, but easily board, and so they just get hammered!

Hey Prom,

Yours can be a whole new tip, and we can BUMP it up so that its above Gary's, since the FRONT wheel is before the Rear Wheel!
                  Dig. Cameras are fun, just make sure you get one with an easy to use Macro feature. Mine actually has both a regular macro, and a SUPERMACRO feature!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

"Prom... you are correct", "Prom.. you are wise, indeed. "HobbyMan... don't listen to T.C., Prometheus is the man."
                    I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

"My fans adore me(but it's costing me plenty)

More PUNishment, T.C.?
                      I was sort of hoping that you'd Brakleen of this whole game. A nasty habit of yours, these puns, but I understand how once a vice grips your soul, it's hard to shake.
                      You should set some standards for yourself, and quit pulling these lame tricks, if you catch my drift,pinhead.
                      The way you treat people is a cryin' shim.
                      You keep pressing your luck, caring little for the impact that it has on others. You pick and chisel away at people's egos. You should be more sensitive... reach out to them... send out a feeler,guage their responses.
                      But no... you hone your razor-wit on them!
                      Did you watch too much TV as a child? Your parents should have put channel-locks on the set to keep you from all that violence.
                      As an administrator, we rely on you to carry the torch for us moderators, but you're giving us a bad name, and by extension, all Gurus.

Carpenters... don't get me started!
                      I was a carpenter when I was a young stud. Started at the bottom and clawed my way to the top. I didn't want to always be a worker, (I couldn't support myself) I wanted to be the ruler.
                      Carpenters today just try to rip you off, that's plane to see. And I saw plenty!
                      The architect would often show up without pens and paper, the roofer didn't show up... said he had shingles... the whole crew was just dead wood... guttertrash; Knot a tradesman among them.
                      Bribes couldn't get these guys to move. I bought them beer, etc. Once I even left out a bowl of fruit for them. "Have a plum,Bob, but to no effect.
                      When they finally finished my deck, oh, how I rejoist
                      This whole episode was just another thing to chalk up to experience.

Comment

While we're on the subject of wheel bearings...

Hey, how do you insert those quotes into your post?
                        80G The Big unit
                        84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"

Comment

right click and highlight what you want quoted. Copy it.
                          Above the field where you write your stuff... hit the quote button and paste the sentance there. Hit the OK button, and it's in.

Comment

This thread wouldn't be complete without a meathead Idiot excessive chiming in too. How do you all do that. I wish I was that creative with words. Sometimes I just get so board. When I try to spark my imagination, I get a headache that feels like someone is drilling into my head. The only way to relieve the wrenching pain is to sleep it off. The only problem is that sometimes I just turn over all night long. Even though my bed is level, I seem to fall off, sometimes bottom dead center of my room. If I don't get some good sleep soon after, I am afraid that my temper will cause me to use my swingarm too much. Hopefully everything will be resolved by that point. Knowing all of this, I try not to let my lack of imagination split my case .
                            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

"Oh... to be young again."

Hobbyman,
                              I know how these thoughts spring into a young man's mind... forcing him to vent his emotions. So many things in today's world generate uncertainty... and it's this uncertainty that has your mind alternating between which path to take. Watt I've always found is that it's better to take the path of least resistance when one comes to a fork in the road. Stop... look around to get your bearings, and move out smartly. (if you can't move out smartly, then move out dumbly), just forge ahead.
                              Someday...wheel sit down and have a good talk. (years ago...a Guru spoke to me in the same manner. I don't know whatever became of him. He released a lot of tension in my life. He was my guide and I was his follower. He was the link in my life... that broke my chain of despondancy. I try to relay what he taught me to others)
                              Till then... harness your inner strength, regulate your emotions, rectify the mistakes you have made in the past and move forward. Live each day as if it's a new life... for you never know which ride will be your final drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X