Maxim Speedo Mod - 140 mph!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAXIMAN
    You didn't read the post. I said it would NOT go that fast. But it would look nicer.

I read it, but I just wanted to mess with ya a little. Wih all those mods, it should kick A$$!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hodges
      My 85 mph Jimmy Carter special indicator is still in the box the 160 mph Reagan special came in,so I can always reinstall it if Hillary comes to power.
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya know Speed and Sport has a few new ones ('79 SF speedo) in stock! 7 to be exact...but they fetch $290. I ain't gonna cough up $300 smackers for a novelty. My $30 140 mph indicator will do fine thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by John

Wih all those mods, it should kick A$$!
        Well I would hope so. But some poor fools are so ignorant to the realities of speed they think all these mods would result in 150 hp and 160 mph top speed.

Comment

That would be nice...

For braggin' rights, but I know better. For one thing, we are stuck with the gearing that we have, and with that and having the areodynamics of a brick at high speed, I don't think much more than 120 HP, and 150mph would be attainable. I have had mine up to 135 mph a couple of times, years ago, only to get dusted by That Damned FJ. That thing is incredibly quick and fast.

Comment

Re: That would be nice...

Originally posted by John
            For braggin' rights, but I know better. For one thing, we are stuck with the gearing that we have, and with that and having the areodynamics of a brick at high speed, I don't think much more than 120 HP, and 150mph would be attainable. I have had mine up to 135 mph a couple of times, years ago, only to get dusted by That Damned FJ. That thing is incredibly quick and fast.
            Strange you mentioned gearing. I recently acquired an 18" rear wheel off a XS750. When you run the numbers the stock OEM wheel will take you to 135 to 140 at redline depending on the tire OD.

The tallest tire I found for this 18" wheel is 27.44 in OD. That calculates 145 at 8500 rpm. I suppose with the right valve springs...if....just if ...the motor was making enough power to take it there....you might be able to hit 154 at 9000 rpm without floating the valves.

Of course that specualtion is based solely on my ignorance. Dan is right...short of dropping and Eleven out of a plane....they'll never fully utilize a 160 mph speedo.

Comment

You're entirely right, but it does look good on the bike, though.

Comment

Yup, and I'm kind of partial to my speedo that reads to 240, and it has another mark for 250!
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Too bad that's in Canuck miles.

Comment

Yeah, but we're easy to fool. We just love driving on a road where the legal posted limit is 110. Never mind that we're still not going fast, we just know we're doing 110!
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Maximan incredible mod! That truly looks trick great work great pics and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Well I couldn't stand the imperfection.

If you thought the 140 was cool.

Then this is downright cryo-GENIC!

Thanks to our own "John" for coughing up the 160 indicator...ROX!!!

Comment

Sweet

Nice looking installation.

Comment

Yeah I just hope this Pilot Box works. It's an extra I picked up on Ebay and never had it on the bike to test it yet.

Comment

FYI, all Japanese speedometers use the same drive ratio. Any difference in the speedo drive is to deal with the diameter of the front tire.

Geezer
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Yeah I know that. The speedometer working is not my concern...but the other functions of the Pilot Box (tach...warning light...fuel gauge...etc).

Thanks

Cg

Comment

Working...
                                X