Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail lights gone awry?

Howdy group,
    1980 Xs1100, with the bike running at idle, there is the tail light, which gets brighter with brake application, and also the two turn signals. On my bike, the turn signals are lit as well as the tail light. They blink or flash on demand with a greater intensity than when left alone, is this right? Iv'e never seen another bike do that. Could this be another example of Yamaha's innability to run electrical systems properly? Thanks for any feedback!

OK, the rear/brake light is OK. If you examine the bulbs, there are two wires in them... one for the light, another for brake light.
    The rear turn signals seem to be converted to running lights. If they blink on demand, it's OK. Nothing to worry about. Check the bulb type there too... I guess it's the same as rear/brake one.
    If it's an ordinary bulb (one wire) check the ground wire for the lights.
    At least ppl can see you in the dark.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

It does sound like somebody converted them to running lights, they need to have red lens covers to be legal in most states.

XS's do not have rear turn signals that stay on as running lights, but it is a mod that has been discussed here before.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
      X