Thanks from new user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks from new user

In July I was given a 1978 XS100E. The bike was abandoned on a property that my neighbor manages. He's not interested in motorcycles, so he asked me if I wanted it. I couldn't resist when I saw what it was.

With the help of this forum, I have the bike ready for the road, although it isn't titled yet. Getting a title in NJ is a long process.

When I got it, the bike had a fairing and saddlebags. I removed those and bought a headlight, turn signals and miscellaneous parts from ebay.

The mufflers were rusted through, but the sportster muffler tip on this forum worked perfectly. I got the mufflers for $20 plus shipping from ebay. I cut the old pipes where they start to flare out to the muffler section and slipped on sportster mufflers. The mounting tabs even line up (fore/aft), but are an inch too short. A bracket with two holes an inch apart fixes that.

The inside of the gas tank was covered with rust. Fortunately, it wasn't rusted through anywhere. I used kreem to clean and coat it (before I read about kreem flaking off on the forum). By the way, Home Depot sells "Prep N Etch" which is phosphoric acid. I needed more rust removal than Kreem's Part A would provide.

Other than that, a fuse block fix, plenty of cleaning and getting intimate with the carbs for a few days was all it took to get it running pretty well.

Thanks to all of you on this forum who helped this former "lurker".

Hi ya NJXS

78E......cool

Still not sure if I like the standards or specials better.
    So......
    have a few of each

Pics's are easy to post,
    would like to see how yours has come out.

mro

Comment

NJXS, Welcome to the site.
      With the help of this forum, I have the bike ready for the road, although it isn't titled yet. Getting a title in NJ is a long process.
      I have a suggestion about your title problem. I have recently titled one of my Harleys through this company http://www.its-titles.com/ it all happened within two weeks and for only 75 bucks! Ok, plus how ever much it will cost to register the bike in your state. I am a happy camper, I have one more bike to title, bummer it will cost 200 bucks cause it's under 300cc.
      good luck
      I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

A good find, NJXS, and a good job gettin' her running again. Gives quite a sense of accomplishment, doesn't it?
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
        X