xs1100 new owner needs exhaust advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 new owner needs exhaust advice

I just purchased an 81 XS1100, it says special on the side cover but has full vetter fairing with lower section and no saddle bags. There appears to be a exhaust leak from around the headers but bike runs pretty good still and has 40,000 miles. I am wondering if I need to replace exhaust immediately or is okay to ride for awhile? What would be most inexpensive replacement pipes?

There are crush gaskets between the head and the pipes. Sounds like you need to replace them. Price is $3 - $4 each at most dealers, maybe less at some.

Most leaks occur in the mufflers, as the originals rust out after so much time. A favorite replacemnt is Harley stock mufflers, reasonably priced and easy to get from eBay or a HD dealer. Some fabrication for mounts, and fitting the mufflers to the head pipes may be needed, but price is generally less than $50.00.

Least expensive system will be the MAC brand. Look at Dennis Kirk Street Bike catalog, or go to www.denniskirk.com for more information.

Welcome to the gorup!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
    X