Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb screw/valve gap settings xs1100

hello all.
    i know it would be best to check the manual (and I would love to) but I am helping my brother out this week on his 80 xs1100 and there isnt time to order (great planning here, sorry)

what valve gap is recommended?

the carb bowls are leaking and he hasnt had it long so we're just going to get them apart and dip, adding new rings and such after. on the return journey, what should I be looking for adjustment wise on the screws?

i have a harbor freight vacuum dial and am going to try the air plenum/aquarium valve synchronization. my 82gs850 needs adaptors but is it correct that an 80 xs1100 is a straight connection? to what reading should we synch?

sorry for this kind of post and Im just hoping someone out there has this stuff memorized already and can just get it out without wasting any of their time.. thanks alot...

OOPs. Let's try that again.

what valve gap is recommended?

--Intake .16 - .20mm OR .006-.008"
    --Exhaust .21 - .25mm OR .008-.0010"

the carb bowls are leaking and he hasnt had it long so we're just going to get them apart and dip, adding new rings and such after. on the return journey, what should I be looking for adjustment wise on the screws?

--Don't dip the carbs, that can ruin the shaft seals. Use spray carb cleaner. Don't miss the orifice in the lip of the bowl. Use 1-1/2 turns out for the initial setting of the pilot screws.

i have a harbor freight vacuum dial and am going to try the air plenum/aquarium valve synchronization. my 82gs850 needs adaptors but is it correct that an 80 xs1100 is a straight connection? to what reading should we synch?

--Straight vacuum connections, no adapters needed. Hg value is not critical, make sure all carbs are the same value. Recommend a real four cyl mercury vacuum guage setup or four dial guages. Aquarium valve setup will make you nuts, don't ask me how i know!

Comment

(Randy's valve clearances were stated in mm.)
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

well, that goes without saying....

Comment

And remember on the synch.... #3 has no adjustment. You adjust #4 to what #3 is.. (But it will change #3 as you change #4, so do it in slight increments) Then look and see what #2 is and adjust #1 to it. (Again... changing #1 will change #2) THEN, adjust the #2 carb to the #3.

Good luck, and get a book ASAP.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Lesson for new Moderators

Hey Prom, and John, DiverRay,

This thread is a great example of the editting that can be done, like removing Randy's OOOPs reply....he hit reply and then apparently send before he'd actually typed anything, and then
            you can actually go in and EDIT someone elses post, see the
            bolded "mm's" I added. I also added the Standard/English measurements in case he doesn't have the combo mm/inch feeler gauges!

T.C.
            So, does that mean we can go into somebody else's post and misspell a bunch of words, and make them look like an 'idjut'? hmmm Oh the opportunities.
            Last edited by John; 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

"I see how it is..."

well, that goes without saying....
              Actually, Randy... It did go with out saying... which is why I said it for you. I've seen people use standard gauges and set clearances to metric measurements before.
              (I read your post and thought "HUH?". It didn't say that before!)
              Nice job, T.C.... Thought I was losing my mind... again.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

If a guy doesn't know enough to use metric tools on a metric bike then maybe he should drop the tools and back away.

Comment

Re: Lesson for new Moderators

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                  Hey Prom, and John, DiverRay,

T.C.
                  So, does that mean we can go into somebody else's post and misspell a bunch of words, and make them look like an 'idjut'? hmmm Oh the opportunities.

I don't need any help looking like an 'idjut' thankyouverymuch. I have sufficient experience in 'idjutness' for 3 people.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

thanks for the help guys. i think this will get us on track and hopefully get this thing up and running over t-giving.

Comment

Hey Tony,

Well, you have the specs, but what I and the rest of us forgot to tell you is that to adjust them, you will need a variety of shims. There are NO Adjusting screws/nuts, the XS11 uses buckets and presized shims, and you have to swap the shims to do the adjustments. Will be a bit hard finding a shop open on T-day, but perhaps on Black Friday you can find some, but measuring them first will help you determine if any gaps need adjustments.

You'll also need the special valve bucket depressor tool to keep the bucket/valve depressed to get the shims out to record their thickness, it's stamped/printed on the bottom bucket side of the shim!

Hey John, if you look at the bottom of my post that you editted, you'll see the small italics message: last editted by John, so there are tell tale signs, so you'll want to be careful who and how you edit replies!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Damn!

Electronic footprints.

Comment

Working...
                        X