hot rod XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot rod XS1100

Hey fellas, I'm needing a gas tank. Anybody out there have one for sale?? I dont need emblems, or paint. Just a good tank.

Also, I seem to have a slight dead spot in the lower RPM range since I took out my exhaust baffel. Before the "dead" spot was at a much higher RPM. What could this be?? Carbs out of sync???
    Thanks fellas.

Semper Fi.

Uhmmm... I'm of the opinion that it's the lack of baffles that is baffling you.
    I'd put it back in, and work on tuning the bike to that... and then experimenting further after you've straightened out the dead spot there.
    Nothing's worse than trying to fix a problem by causing a different one.
    (I'm not trying to be critical... but I'd recommend starting over.
    Also... what year and model, what kind of changes have been made... air filters? custom exhaust?(Other than what you've just stated)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578
      Uhmmm... I'm of the opinion that it's the lack of baffles that is baffling you.
      I'd put it back in, and work on tuning the bike to that... and then experimenting further after you've straightened out the dead spot there.
      Nothing's worse than trying to fix a problem by causing a different one.
      (I'm not trying to be critical... but I'd recommend starting over.
      Also... what year and model, what kind of changes have been made... air filters? custom exhaust?(Other than what you've just st
      ated)
      I only took out the baffle to see if it still studdered, and I put it back in the same day. I have no idea how to tune four carbs. I can tune an old carter, or even a holley if its in good shape. but I dont even know where to start with this thing. As far as mods go, it is now a hard tail with a four into one exhaust, and four small air cleaners. The only thing I have to watch is the oil level because the bike sets very low, and that makes the engine set at kind of a slant. But it hauls ass if you dont just throw it wide open all at once. I cant really get on it too much, because my seat is very very small and it tries to sling my butt back onto the rear wheel (no fenders). I really need a seat with a lip on the back to help hold me in place. I love eating harleys at the stop lights, but its tough to hold on. It is a 79 xs1100 SF, or thats what the title says. I love it. super cool. All flat black with deep red flames on the tank, and plexiglass covers under the seat to cover the junction box. I used bondo to fill in the "Yamaha" stamped into the engine covers on both sides, and painted them and the clutch cover flat black. Everybody that see's it asks what it is. I REALLY need to figure out some way to put suspension on the rear. I only need shocks about 9 1/2'' from eye to eye. but I cant find any. I need all the help I can get. Thanks for the input.

Danno250 USMC.

Femper Fi.

Comment

.. try running your bike without the air fliters and see what happens.
        i would like to see a picture of this bike.

Comment

You can Tune a carb, but you can't TUNA FISH!

Hey Danno,

What Gene is alluding to is that some of the aftermarket Indy air filters are restrictive where they mount to the carbs, and cause the bike to run too rich bogging down the rpms, so doing a test WITHOUT them on will help you to determine whether it's the filters restricting airflow, or more a matter of tuning!

There are several good tech tips FROM THE MAIN FORUM PAGE, NOT the yellow column links on the left, regarding tuning, synching, colortuning or tuning by ear!!!

You'll want to check out your plugs, with those intake and exhaust mods, you may be jetted too lean!? Better get a LIP or backrest, or seatbelt, cause once you get the carbs really tuned, you may not be able to keep your seat!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

What RPM range are we talking here? Just a thought because I don't know if it will work or not, but run your engine in the rpm range where the dead spot is and the check your plugs. After that, you might be able to tune your carbs according to what your pugs indicated.
            "Book'em Danno"
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Danno ,
              Sounds like you have the same ideas going for this monster that I have for mine.
              I have lowered the back end of mine and extended the down tubes to keep the engine level. Your engine may be running funny because it is not sitting level. Hence the level of fuel in your float bowls may be affected. I am also looking for shorter shocks but in the mean time I just cut the springs on the stock ones. I think I took about two inches of with my angle grinder. Still rides bouncy but a little is better than none. I have also mounted a custom seat w/rear lip to keep my ass in place. The seat has springs which also helps a little. I also reused the rear section of the stock fender for the rear tire. welded some tabs on the drive shaft housing and the swing arm to bolt to so it moves with the tire. IMHO I think it was pretty cleaver. Heres a few pics

I have painted the tank flat black and also done some other work. It looks alot better now than in those photos.
              Here is a link if your interested in extending the down tubes
              http://www.cb750choppers.com/cb750/chop.html
              I have done it with no problems yet. I used schedule 40 pipe though just for extra ridgidness.
              Last edited by audijunky; 11-30-2006, 07:42 AM.
              "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
              "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
              79 XS1100 modified standard
              Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
              pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
              straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
              new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
              Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
              Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
              owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Well let me also suggest raising the forks in the triple trees to level it out if you have not already. Depending on how low your rear is , you may want to think about clubman bars. I think thats what they are called. Anyway, Just some suggestions Good luck getting that beast runnin right
                Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Actually I think they are called clip-ons.
                  Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Hey Danno just noticed the sign off of your first post, fellow jarhead huh.
                    Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Originally posted by audijunky
                      Hey Danno ,
                      Sounds like you have the same ideas going for this monster that I have for mine.
                      I have lowered the back end of mine and extended the down tubes to keep the engine level. Your engine may be running funny because it is not sitting level. Hence the level of fuel in your float bowls may be affected. I am also looking for shorter shocks but in the mean time I just cut the springs on the stock ones. I think I took about two inches of with my angle grinder. Still rides bouncy but a little is better than none. I have also mounted a custom seat w/rear lip to keep my ass in place. The seat has springs which also helps a little. I also reused the rear section of the stock fender for the rear tire. welded some tabs on the drive shaft housing and the swing arm to bolt to so it moves with the tire. IMHO I think it was pretty cleaver. Heres a few pics

I have painted the tank flat black and also done some other work. It looks alot better now than in those photos.
                      Here is a link if your interested in extending the down tubes
                      http://www.cb750choppers.com/cb750/chop.html
                      I have done it with no problems yet. I used schedule 40 pipe though just for extra ridgidness.
                      Hey dude, sick ride. My engine looks about like yours. I need to fing out how to take my shocks apart, I have spent several beers on that one. Any input?? I also thought about cutting mine, but damn if I could figure out how they come apart. Late.

Semper Fi.

Comment

Hey Danno just noticed the sign off of your first post, fellow jarhead huh.
                        Semper Fi, Do or die, born to fight, trained to kill, ready to die but never will.

Hell yeah Devil, Camp Pendleton CA.

I saw something yesterday that made me about crap my pants,,,, GUYS,, My bike smokes like hell when it gets good and hot. I was getting on it a little out of a stop sign, and I turned and looked behind me to make a lane change, and low and behold, as I let off the gas,, a very blue trail of smoke follwed me. It only smokes when it is decelerating. What does that mean? Bad guides?? Rings?? I have seen old cars smoke like hell when you floor them, but what does it mean when it smokes after you let off?? Guys I am beside myself here, I love smoking the harley guys at stop lights, but it is embarressing to see all the smoke now. I dont know how long it has done this, the motor runs like a CHAMP!! What do ya'll think?? new motor time?? Thank you guys for all the help. And I will get a picture up as soon as I can.

Semper Fi.

Comment

I actually had a pair of spring compressors(automotive) that I cut down with an angle grinder to fit motorcycle springs. Its kind of hairy, but if you get them compressed a little the top plate just slides off and then the spring comes right off. That is if your shocks look like mine. I have noticed a few styles for these bikes. If your feelin froggy slap a cutting disk on an angle grinder a cut them while they are on the bike. Put the bike on the center stand so the rear wheel is off the ground, this way there is as little pressure on the spring as possible. They are really not as compressed as automotive coil overs. Just be careful when finishing the cut cause they will pop a little. Come to think of it I did one side with the compressor and noticed how little it needed to be compressed and then just cut the other on the bike. If you do cut them cut on a pretty good angle so theres a pretty good flat spot where they rest on the shock.
                          About the smoke, I am pretty sure blue smoke is oil. I dont think it has anything to do with decelerating , it is just easier to notice cause theres not as much pressure pushing it out. And I dont know anyone who has the balls to be accelerating and looking back at the same time! As far as where to look for causes I am going to leave that up to the gurus. I am probably wrong about half the **** I've told you already. Semper Fi Devil Dog
                          PS I was at Pendleton too, Margaritaville 2000-2003
                          1st Mar Div HQ Battalion Comm Co
                          Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

What does that mean? Bad guides??

1J7-12119-01-00 SEAL, VALVE STEM (90891-10073)
                            If guides are not worn outa spec., then you may need to R&R seals.

mro

Comment

I actually had a pair of spring compressors(automotive) that I cut down with an angle grinder to fit motorcycle springs. Its kind of hairy, but if you get them compressed a little the top plate just slides off and then the spring comes right off. That is if your shocks look like mine. I have noticed a few styles for these bikes. If your feelin froggy slap a cutting disk on an angle grinder a cut them while they are on the bike. Put the bike on the center stand so the rear wheel is off the ground, this way there is as little pressure on the spring as possible. They are really not as compressed as automotive coil overs. Just be careful when finishing the cut cause they will pop a little. Come to think of it I did one side with the compressor and noticed how little it needed to be compressed and then just cut the other on the bike. If you do cut them cut on a pretty good angle so theres a pretty good flat spot where they rest on the shock.
                              About the smoke, I am pretty sure blue smoke is oil. I dont think it has anything to do with decelerating , it is just easier to notice cause theres not as much pressure pushing it out. And I dont know anyone who has the balls to be accelerating and looking back at the same time! As far as where to look for causes I am going to leave that up to the gurus. I am probably wrong about half the **** I've told you already. Semper Fi Devil Dog
                              PS I was at Pendleton too, Margaritaville 2000-2003
                              1st Mar Div HQ Battalion Comm Co
                              Comm?? Holy crap man. I am H.E out of Margaritaville Was you 372??

Comment

Working...
                              X