im about to blow up the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im about to blow up the bike

ok i can get her to run right i can get the carb right went to pod filters jet up to 115 mains will run to 4 grand with a rag tyraped it the carbs but put the filters on with or with out tc stacks and she will not run what the h@#$ am i doing wrong it was out of time on the cam got that right now still runs to 4 grand with rag but no go on the filters i can get her right this SUCKS BAD
    i need help bad
    80 xs11 sg

Some pod filters have a protruding ridge inside that restricts the air flow. I beleive T.C. posted about this sometime last year. Do a search. And, take a look inside your filters.

Comment

ya i did that T.C. stacks to fix it but still no go
      80 xs11 sg

Comment

double check the float height. I would set it about 3mm off. That is to say, have the fuel level down about 3mm below what it is. If you have a LOT of restriction from the pod filters, you will be pulling a LOT more fuel through the carbs.
        I would also double check the clearance on the vent holes at the intake side of the carbs, and the carb main vent, if they are the early ('78,'79) carbs.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

so your saying set them to like 25 or 26 mm or 21 or 20
          they are at about 23 mm now . and putting on the pods would make it more free folw air or am i wrong right now im so confused now
          80 xs11 sg

Comment

To me, it sounds like you are running way lean. Your bigger main jet won't come in to play at start and idle. Have you cleaned the little jet in the bowl of the carbs? It sounds like even with a rag on the end... it revs up to 4 grand... lean (Or carbs out of synch) By puting the filters on, it makes it even MORE lean than the rag by flowing the air even more, and is simply too lean to run now?? Just a guess. You have tried to start it with full choke haven't you?

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

A Recap is needed?

Hey TJ,

We need a recap on what you have done!? Also, you have an 80SG, possibility you have one of those funky carbs built more like the 78-79 series with the shared pilot/main tower tunnel, vs. the true 80-81's that don't share fuel between the pilot and mains, and so use smaller jets?

IF yours is the earlier style carbs, then the 115's are way too small of jets, with the shared jet tower tunnel, then you would need at least a 137.5 jet, and maybe even larger due to the pipes and intakes!

What do the plugs look like? IF they are bone white, then you are definitely lean. IF they are black and sooty, then you are rich.

I am "leaning" towards Tod's impression, that you are lean, but we need to know for sure what style your carbs are.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

it runs good at full choke but one hit of the throttle it dies , T.C. i have clean the carbs and did a rebuild with another set but i really never looked for the tunnel between the main and the other on the tower i will look tomorrow i need to look through the main on the tower right thats were i could see the port ?
                80 xs11 sg

Comment

TJ,

Here's a couple of photos, first one is a 79SF, shows the threaded pilot jet tower for threaded cap screw plug, and the tunnel going to the main jet tower.

This next one is an 80SG, smooth bore pilot jet tower for RUBBER plug, and tunnel(red arrow) going to main jet tower. The main jet is the wrong size!

Saying that it will run with the CHOKE also hints to being too lean!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

no tunnel so far

ok well the 4 spares i have off the bike do not have the tunnel between the main and the pilot tomorrow i will check the others and for running lean that would mean i should set the floats lower they are at 23 mm i need to out then to like 22 or 21 right and try that unless i have the tunnel then i will need plugs and larger mains
                    80 xs11 sg

Comment

Okay, the spares didn't have the tunnels, so they should have had the smaller jets. You said you had rebuilt yours with parts from the spares. IF your current carbs have the tunnels, and you used the jets from the spares, then yes, you are definitely too lean, and larger jets and pilot plugs are in order!

I hope you're on the right track!? T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

Have you inspected the spark plugs yet? even if you only run it for a few minutes they should give you some kind of indication.
                        "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
                        "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
                        79 XS1100 modified standard
                        Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
                        pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
                        straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
                        new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
                        Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
                        Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
                        owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

ok pulled carbs off no tunnels so this weekend i will clean them again and inspect everything what should i pay close attiention to ?
                          80 xs11 sg

Comment

There's a million different opinions on reading sparkplugs, for me it's ignore the insulator color and instead look at the bottom ring of the plug, I mean the circular face at the bottom of the spark plug threads, if it's either smooth, shiny, clean, or bare metal, the mix is too lean. A thinnish film of carbon is good and pretty much right, and that's pretty much the same coating as you're getting on the valves and combustion chambers. Too thick and obviously too rich.

Comment

Okay TJ,

No tunnels= later model carbs, stock jets were 110-120 depending on whether you believe the books. I had found 110's in all four of mine. I went up to 117.5's, but now on a recent rally, fellow Xsive riding behind me smelled raw fuel? I haven't checked my plugs yet.

If it will only run up to 4 grand, which is where the mains kick in, then still sounds like fuel starvation, so going back thru the carbs is a good thing. Did you remove the main jet nozzle/ and ensure the holes are clean/clear? Are your vacuum diaphragms working properly, no holes?

Have you checked the vacuum advance module under the left timing cover for proper operation? Timing plate rotate easily, not getting hung up? Vacuum line good, no leaks. Similarly, no leaks around intake manifolds, vacuum synch ports-rubber caps? No vacuum leaks around butterfly seals?

You might need larger mains, but even with 115's, it should rev higher than 4K? I think other things are holding it back!?
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                              X