Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• won't come out of gear-Help

help, this bike waas sitting for a while
    the problem is that the shifter gear broke, i removed the shifter cover and welded the broken gear together(its the gear on the lever side) any way i put the shifter back into the bike making sure it was in second an aligning the dots. ok so now when I start the bike in nuetral as indicated by the green light, with the clutch pulled in the rear wheel is stationary(on the center stand)but as i let the clutch go the rear wheel starts spinning and increases with throttle. when i pull in the clutch and try to shift to first there is a big clunk and the engine wants to quit when i let go of the clutch, same thing upshifting to second. I don't know whats wrong it seems as if the bike is in gear all the time. is it maybe a bent shift fork? how can i check this?
    sorry to be so long.
    thanks Rick

Hey Rick,

Okay, rear wheel still when in "indicated" neutral, release clutch and wheel spins. Can you stop the wheel with your foot with the clutch released and still in indicated neutral?

The rear wheel spinning a little is normal due to hydraulic action of the spinning parts even though it's not in gear.

The "Clunk" is totally normal for first, but the engine wanting to die when letting out the clutch isn't. With it in neutral, can you spin the rear wheel fairly easily? Are you sure the rear brake isn't grabbing too much? If the wheel can spin easily in neutral, then your middle gear isn't binding. Did you check and replace the middle drive gear oil....with the gear oil of your choice?

Aside from the rear caliper dragging, or the middle gear binding, the engine shouldn't die, it should be able to rev easily and really spin that rear wheel!

Have you rebuilt the carbs? Lots of other things can contribute to an engine trying to die.

BTW, don't worry about the length of your posts, the more info the better!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

shift problem

ok first of all the rear wheel doesn't move easily at all with the clutch pulled in you really have to pull on the wheel to get it to move.
      with the bike indicated nuetral you can't stop the rear wheel from spinning it's going like it is in gear. The engine dies like it is trying to pull a load, not that it is sputtering almost like it is still in gear. the gear oil has been changed and it is filled to the lines on the dipstick.
      the clunk into first is a violent clunk also with both wheels on the ground and nuetral light on with clutchengraged once the clutch is released the bike starts to move foward like its in first. The rear brake line is disconnected so theres no pressureon the disk.
      help i am stumped.
      thanks rick

Comment

maybe your clutch discs are sticking? I had the same thing happen on my donor motor.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
        Second bike is an FJR1300.
        Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

this bike was sitting for a while
          sounds to me like several problems due to "sit-itis".
          Firstly: sounds like the clutch plates are sticking together from not being used for a long while. There are several remedies for this, but mostly if you have a good running machine, which I doubt, but shall address later. What I would do in this instance is to drain the oil and remove the clutch cover. There are various games you could play, but the simple and thorough job would be to disassemble the clutch, separate the friction plates and steel plates, pour some clean oil on them and then reassemble everything. This will ensure that the plates aren't sticking together. Just 'cause you have the clutch lever pulled in doesn't mean that the plates are separating like they should be.
          Secondly: this bike has sat. What did you have to do to get it running? Did you pull the carbs and clean them? Chances are it isn't really running well, and unless you really know the sound that these things make, it's often hard to recognize that it's not really running on all four cylinders.
          Fire the bike and let it warm for a few. Spray some water(I use a spray bottle of 409 cleaner for convenience)on the header pipes. They should all sizzle the same. I have a feeling that yours won't... that you may have a dead cylinder or one not firing properly as you say the bike wants to quit when releasing the clutch. In that case, a carb cleaning is in order.
          Could be a lot of different things.
          Hard to diagnose without actually being able to play with the machine a little.
          Try the water test first... then the clutch work if needed. Write back with your results.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

thanks i'll try the sticking clutch theory
            the engine doesn' t die like a fuel issue all the cylinders are firing i meant that when you release the clutch the engine feels like the
            gears are not moving freely as if the engine really has work. like the clutch isn't fully disengaged. This bike has been run within the last month and started regularly just not ridden. due to the PO unfortunate mishap at the dirtbike track. he started the bike reg but never had the courage to ride again.
            thank you very much for the help
            i'll try to free up the clutch tomarrow at work
            rick

Comment

im sure thats what it is. Try some synthetic oils until it slips and then change back to regular oils. You could also check the clutch cable adjustments.
              Last edited by RUSH; 11-14-2006, 12:54 AM.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
              Second bike is an FJR1300.
              Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Sounds like it's grabbing more than one gear.
                Is this possible?
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

mid gear

any chance the mid gear drive froze up? or going south. said wheel was very hard to turn by hand?
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                  now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I has a similar problem a while ago. Here is a link to the thread that I posted about it.
                    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=clutch+basket

Comment

Re: mid gear

Originally posted by chevy45412001
                      any chance the mid gear drive froze up? or going south. said wheel was very hard to turn by hand?
                      From all the stories I've heard, a middle gear lock-up is all or nothing. Guys have experienced total rear wheel lock up when travelling at speed when this happens. I don't think thet's the problem here...
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

I know you've disconnected the rear brake line, but check that the pads aren't stuck "on", the caliper could be binding/frozen and so the pads still hard against the disk? But your first post points to this to being not a major problem, but I'd expect the wheel to spin a bit when cold no matter whether it's in neutral or clutch in.

Problem is these bikes make a big clonk when engaging gears, and it's normal (at least while the oil's cold) for drag thru either a disengaged clutch, or an engaged clutch with the tranny in neutral, for the wheel to spin, but what you're experiencing may be worse than what's "normal"? As TC said, if the bike's in neutral and the wheel's spinning, you should be able to stop it with your boot with the clutch either in or out.

You say the wheel is stationary in neutral with the clutch in, but the wheel spins as the clutch is let out, I thinks that eliminates stuck clutch plates?

Maybe when the shifter gear broke, something's happened in the tranny? Or the gear broke because there's a tranny problem? But before you start pulling it apart, check the easier things first. You can get into the tranny without splitting the cases, there's threads here explaining the process. But check everything else first!!

I could be wrong, but if an XS can start and run easily without sounding sick, it ought to be able to engage first gear and spin the wheel whilst on the centre stand without killing the engine.

Dave
                        XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

Working...
                        X