Retrofitting a 1981 XS1100H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofitting a 1981 XS1100H

I am a new member of this association and this is my first post. I would like to know if the body parts (fuel tank, seat, side covers, fenders) and the mufflers are exchangable between a 1978 XS1100E and a 1981 XS1100H. In my specific case, I would like to change the "look" of a 1981 XS1100H by using the seat and mufflers taken from a 1978 XS1100E and, of course, getting rid of the fairing, seat, side bags, and mufflers of the 1981 XS1100H.

Thanks,
    Piero, Minneapolis

hello, and welcome!

the fuel tank and fenders should be an easy bolt-on. the other three parts each offer some difficulties to be over come.

for the mufflers, i'm assuming you mean the entire exhaust system? the 81 is set up for an upswept system, while the 78s are low-hangers. you'll need to add a piece to make up the difference. make sure you use the same mounting hole in the aluminum bracket. the rubber grommet gives some needed flex to the setup.

the side covers wont fit w/o serious modification, and i'm not sure if they will ever look right. i havent seen it done, but i know that the frame tubes are wrong for the cut-outs, and the hangers are different as well.

the seat pan of the 78 is designed with the placement of the ignition module in mind. on the 81, it fits UNDER the seat. on the 78, it fits on the rear metal fender, in the 2 empty holes you see now. you would need to move the ignition box, and i would suggest you put it in the triangular tool box under the left sidecover (that you WONT be replacing lol).

ok, now that i've typed all this, i'm thinking, why would he wanna change the gas tank?? are you sure you have an 81H, and not an 81SH?? the SH would preclude using the front fender off the 78.

i have a cobbled together bike, as you can tell from my tag line. email me direct if you need more specifics. good luck!
    - dan
    - thinker57@lycos.com
    - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

I may be interested in the fairing if you want to get rid of it.
      #1 ’79 XS11 Special
      #2 ’79 XS11 Special
      '97 V-Max
      '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

exhaust

Hey if your thinking about getting rid of your current exhaust and it is still in good condition let me know I'd love to replace mine on my 78XS11, Also there are not that many of us in Minn but it might be fun to get a group together from up here, I live in Alexandria, there are a couple in Fargo and 1-2 in the cities you should get to know.
        Dave
        dwbutler@rea-alp.com
        dwbutler

Comment

Working...
        X