idle mixture screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle mixture screw

i need to adjust this all 4 are in different postion. in the throat of the carb there is a little pin sticking out again all 4 postioned different. this is the first time i have done carb work myself thanks for any help here
    Joe Bjordahl
    “speed don't kill it’s the sudden stops”
    Yamaha xs1100 are addictive
    1979 XS1100S
    1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
    1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Adjusting fuel/air can be done by "ear", with a tach or color tune.

But first would check that the pin sticking out will go up/down when turning screw. If not pin on end of screw has broken off and will need to be R & R.

Start with all four pilot screws 1 1/4 turns out.

vac sync carbs

set RPM as low as it will idle smoothly with main adjustment on carbs. Turn pilot screw slowly out on one carb. Listen for change in RPM. Continue turning until either RPM peaks or idle becomes "ruff". Note how far you've turned pilot screw. Now turn it other direction and keep track of turns same as above. Best spot for screw will be middle of number of turns between the two.

Should check vac sync agin and then go to next carb etc....

mro
    btw
    leaking cam chain tensioner plug on my other 80G. Pulled out plug, smeared it with non-harding gasket sealer and put back in. Not leaked since.
    Last edited by mro; 11-11-2006, 10:29 AM.

Comment

so the small wire should be connected to screw
      Joe Bjordahl
      “speed don't kill it’s the sudden stops”
      Yamaha xs1100 are addictive
      1979 XS1100S
      1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
      1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Comment

Sorry, floridajoe, that is not a small wire or pin sticking into the throat of the carb(s). It is a broken-off end of the pin. Look in the tech articles for the push-pin technique for removing the broken part.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
        X