Rear brake bleed screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake bleed screw

I need to replace the rear caliper bleed screw. The rear brake seized on the PO and as a quick fix (he was just moving the bike and it was raining) he bled out the fluid. In the process he stripped the OEM screw and had to get it off with a vise grip. I'm thinking the seizing problem is due to the spooge hole being plugged and fixing it is my next weekend project. Eventually I'd like to replace the stripped screw. Do I need to get one specific for the XS1100 or will one from another model/make do?

Thanks,
    malber
    1981 XS1100SH

Our nipples are 8mmX1.25 thread, about an inch long. AFAIK, this size is fairly unique, not used on other bikes. I have found them at Auto Barn on the "HELP" rack.

Or you can get speed bleeders # SB8125. Very handy.

Speed Bleeders

Comment

That thing is very cool, and I want one. But I don't want to wait for the shipping. If I fix the spooge problem and bleed the brakes with the existing screw, can I replace it later or will I have to bleed the system again?
      1981 XS1100SH

Comment

If you just pop the old screw out and put in a new one, you should not have to do a full re-bleed. You might give the pedal a very small push to displace just a drop of fluid so you're sure no air has gotten inside.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

So I ended up working on the rear master cylinder last Friday night. I tried to follow the instructions on cleaning out the spooge hole from the how-to section, but I couldn't get the plastic resivoir off. Is this different on the Special?

I ended up bleeding the system and it ended up fixing the freezing problem, only to discover I have to replace the rear pads.
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

it does come apart

"a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
            History
            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
            79 yamaha xs1100f
            03 honda cbr 600 f4
            91 yamaha fzr 600
            84 yamaha fj 1100
            82 yamaha seca 750
            87 yamaha fazer
            86 yamaha maxim x
            82 yamaha vision
            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

My MC reservoir is different. It has two bolts with nuts on top and one is a bolt screw. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

Try as I could, it would not come off. Didn't want to pry too hard and break it.
              1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Gee, Mason.
                When I remodel my garage, I want nice wood-grained shop benches like you have.
                (or was the house female away when you took the brakes apart on her coffee table?)
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578
                  Gee, Mason.
                  When I remodel my garage, I want nice wood-grained shop benches like you have.
                  (or was the house female away when you took the brakes apart on her coffee table?)

yeah boss, i had already cleaned the parts and took the pics on my office desk.GF has her own place, the way i like it.
                  btw, the other guy was right, you should be writing novels, man you have a way with words
                  "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

A writer uses words to link together ideas to tell interesting stories.
                    The best I can do is to link words into sentences... and do crossword puzzles.
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                    X